Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

a router with 5 or more ports...?

re-al

May 22, 2004
Southend
i cant find an adls router with 5 or more ports...
theyre all 4 ported:angry:
do you know any WIRED routers with 5 or more ports?
thanks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Linksys do an 8 port one.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Intel, Lucent, Cisco and 3Com do DSL routers up to about 25 ports

Also, you can just daisy chain a decent switch (3Com, etc) into the router and it'll work as if its extra ports. Which is what I do.

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
re-al said:
i cant find an adls router with 5 or more ports...
theyre all 4 ported:angry:
do you know any WIRED routers with 5 or more ports?
thanks

can't find any adls routers anywhere! :)

You did not state if it needs to have a built in modem or not if it does you may be limited to 4 (there is one with 4 10/100's and 1 usb which may count as a 5).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
an 'router' HAS to have an in built connectivity device, be it DSL or ATM or whatever.

You're thinking of a switch. He wants a DSL router, which is a DSL modem with a switch integrated.

Mr Fridge

Oct 13, 2004
Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Last edited:

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
MYOB said:
Thats a SWITCH :dunce:

Just because the marketing says its a router doesn't mean it is.

A router has to *route* *internet* packets. That does internal networking only, a modem or actual router attached does the actual internet work.

Incorrect. A router is primarily a device which connects two different network sources together and uses services like NAT to allow the local machines to connect to the WAN.

My ROUTER hasn't got a built-in modem either.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
from Web-Opedia:

Router

(row´ter) (n.) A device that forwards data packets along networks. A router is connected to at least two networks, commonly two LANs or WANs or a LAN and its ISP’s network. Routers are located at gateways, the places where two or more networks connect.
Routers use headers and forwarding tables to determine the best path for forwarding the packets, and they use protocols such as ICMP to communicate with each other and configure the best route between any two hosts.

Very little filtering of data is done through routers.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
disgruntled h blocker said:
Incorrect. A router is primarily a device which connects two different network sources together and uses services like NAT to allow the local machines to connect to the WAN.

My ROUTER hasn't got a built-in modem either.

It does, however, have routing hardware. Which a Linksys SWITCH doesn't

I was trying to simplify stuff here. However, it seems you've dragged me back up to full geekiness here...

Also note that nowhere did I say a router had to have a MODEM in it. I said it had to have some form of connectivity, be it ATM, DSL, etc. Most WAN's run over ATM or X.25

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
MYOB said:
It does, however, have routing hardware. Which a Linksys SWITCH doesn't

I was trying to simplify stuff here. However, it seems you've dragged me back up to full geekiness here...

Also note that nowhere did I say a router had to have a MODEM in it. I said it had to have some form of connectivity, be it ATM, DSL, etc. Most WAN's run over ATM or X.25

I agree with you with the fact the Linksys one suggested by 'beorhthelm' is most probably a switch or hub.

It gives me a real headache when I help people install ADSL routers and they try and connect the PC to the Router using the USB connector (usually reserved for testing and flash updating) instead of the RJ45

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

It gives me a real headache when I help people install ADSL routers and they try and connect the PC to the Router using the USB connector (usually reserved for testing and flash updating) instead of the RJ45

I despise that also. My DSL installer here tried to get me to use USB despite a few problems:

I was testing with a laptop with no full power USB port (e.g. 1.5Mbits/sec rather than 12Mbits that real USB1.1 has)

I was using BeOS, which doesn't support Cayman USB DSL modems

I have a full wired network in my house

Took me half an hour to convince him Mozilla was not Go!Zilla and that it wan't a virus. :nono: :nono:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
MYOB said:
...I was trying to simplify stuff here.

by making the somewhat incorrect and certainly misleading statement:

MYOB said:
an 'router' HAS to have an in built connectivity device, be it DSL or ATM or whatever.

You're thinking of a switch. He wants a DSL router, which is a DSL modem with a switch integrated.

Does an ethernet cable not count as connectivity? Thats what most routers are connected by. The Cisco 2600 under my desk has two ethernet ports and a serial. No DSL or ATM there then. Id also like to highlight at this point that a router doesnt have to function in hardware and can just as well be software.

A router forwards on traffic by IP address, while a switch typically uses MAC address, but some may also operate as a layer 3 device which is functionaly the same as a router.

If i have a ADSL Router has a NAT/Firewall its likely to be considered a router, not a switch. now i wouldnt pretend to know whats at the ADSL headend in the exchange, but id wager its a router as the traffic between it and the ADSL modem is IP.

vis:

MYOB said:
A router has to *route* *internet* packets. That does internal networking only, a modem or actual router attached does the actual internet work.

by you own statement, if the ADSL modem/router is connecting to the internet, it is indeed a router, albiet with a switch built in to attach local devices. If anything in the world of ADSL, the term modem here is the most misleading as they do not modulate/demodulate, at least not in the sence that an actual analogue old money modem will do.

So the Disgruntled H blocker's solution of a cheap 1 port modem/router and a switch is a perfectly valid one and functionaly the same as a router.

(id also like to point out i only suggested Linksys as a i recall they do a 8 port device)

:wave:

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
To get back to the original question, I use the Linksys BEFSR81 router, which has been mentioned indirectly in a couple of the replies, in a couple of student houses with the NTL ADSL modem they supply with their broadband installation, and haven't had any problems with it. I found Expansys did it cheapest, taking postage into account.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
or use a wireless network. . .

3 for pc/server 1 for xbox live

Wireless for laptops and a Wireless Bridge to add another 8 ports on an old 10/100 hub I had kicking around.

Last edited:

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
bardo said:
To get back to the original question, I use the Linksys BEFSR81 router, which has been mentioned indirectly in a couple of the replies, in a couple of student houses with the NTL ADSL modem they supply with their broadband installation, and haven't had any problems with it. I found Expansys did it cheapest, taking postage into account.

It may work perfectly well with NTL Cable, but it does not include an ADSL modem.

Check out: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=155&scid=29

"This unit requires an external Cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet RJ-45 interface. "

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
It may work perfectly well with NTL Cable, but it does not include an ADSL modem.

Check out: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=155&scid=29

"This unit requires an external Cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet RJ-45 interface. "

No, but if it's an ADSL router for use in this area then chances are it's for an NTL installation and as they provide the modem he'll only need a modem-less router.

Barnet Seagull said:
or use a wireless network. . .

3 for pc/server 1 for xbox live

Wireless for laptops and a Wireless Bridge to add another 8 ports on an old 10/100 hub I had kicking around.

He asked for WIRED.

Re-al, where are you? Please keep up with this thread to save speculation!

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
bardo said:
No, but if it's an ADSL router for use in this area then chances are it's for an NTL installation and as they provide the modem he'll only need a modem-less router.

Well, if it's broadband being installed inside an NTL area, surely it would be Cable Internet, and not ADSL?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here