NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Looks frighteningly apocalyptic.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How will the politicians, and the so called ‘elite’, make money from it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How will the politicians, and the so called ‘elite’, make money from it?

Owning it.
Never setting foot in it.
Having the rest of the country to themselves.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
An unpopular view probably but I can kind of see how this might be a good idea. If you've got a large amount of unused land, need to house a population, and don't have a history of long-term urban development going back centuries where cities and towns have grown organically around needs, then there's no need to recreate the way things happen by default, it's an opportunity to rethink how a city is structured. The way our cities are created now is for a hundred different reasons - archaic forms of transport, social hierarchies, access to limited amenities etc, not all of them necessarily relevant reasons now or desirable to keep as they are.

5 million people is a lot of people - this kind of setup is only going to work if the living standards and quality of life reach a baseline that's probably higher than many in cities live in now, at a level of affordability that's more achievable than now. Personally I'd hate it, feels too artificial and like it'd be isolating from the outside world and detached from nature but I can vaguely understand why it might actually work.

I wouldn't like to see an equivalent in the UK because we're too small an island with too much history in our ancient centres, but I can see this potentially becoming standard for new cities in the US, China as well as the Middle East where land is more available and new cities more common/needed. It's got to be more efficient and easier to maintain a city built in a line on a template repeated every couple of miles than on a grid system too.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Lovely! Equitable views, fair rents, crime banned by a clever AI app, salad growing all around and free to pick, easy to defend during war, earthquake proof... where do I sign?:thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Saw this yesterday, it's real life sci-fi.

If they manage to pull this off it'll be a good template for how humans can survive once the rest of the world becomes uninhabitable.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Personally, it’s not a place I would live. All seems a bit against the soul to me.

If these sorts of habitats become the norm and are run by governments , it won’t be too long before we are told we cannot leave them. We’ll be locked indoors while wars are waged on the outside and resources are ravaged and squandered in the name of progress. And we will be safely locked away, out of sight, ignorant in our shopping mall bubble.

This kind of living space never works. Humans are not meant to live that way. Suicide, depression, the inevitable decline into ghettos. Just like the council blocks of the 60’s and 70’s.

At some point I do hope humans realise that we as a species are not sustainable, stop trying to save ourselves at the expense of every other living thing on the planet, and let ourselves die out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In a 100 years I'm guessing we're all (well, I'll be very dead and most of you guys very, very dead) all going to live in megacities. Easier to control people and society, more resources and land to use and exploit, and most likely more sustainable environmentally speaking.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In a 100 years I'm guessing we're all (well, I'll be very dead and most of you guys very, very dead) all going to live in megacities. Easier to control people and society, more resources and land to use and exploit, and most likely more sustainable environmentally speaking.

Boffins believe that the first man to live to 150 years of age has already been born. I believe I am that man.

So far, so good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here