Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I must admit I still laugh at racial stereotyping

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Watching the cricket recently and saw a piece about the Great Shane Warne talking about beating the `Poms` is that racist ? . And i am an Irishman and don`t consider `Paddy` as racist , and i would be surprised if `Taffy` or `Jock` was considered racist by the Welsh and Scottish . We are getting oh so precious these days .

It isn't a racist word or hateful term on it's own, depends how you use it. Up to you how you feel about it personally, but I wouldn't bet that your view is the most common amongst Irish people.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Watching the cricket recently and saw a piece about the Great Shane Warne talking about beating the `Poms` is that racist ? . And i am an Irishman and don`t consider `Paddy` as racist , and i would be surprised if `Taffy` or `Jock` was considered racist by the Welsh and Scottish . We are getting oh so precious these days .

Excellent grasp of the thread.

There will be one up later on how a man was cruelly sacked for turning up to work, having an accident, and being found, during resuscitation, to be wearing his wife's undies. Stockings and everything.

I look forward to your guidance through the moral maze.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Excellent grasp of the thread.

There will be one up later on how a man was cruelly sacked for turning up to work, having an accident, and being found, during resuscitation, to be wearing his wife's undies. Stockings and everything.

I look forward to your guidance through the moral maze.
That's disgraceful!

Such a perverted moral degenerate should never have been resuscitated, don't you agree? (No concern of mine either way, and nothing to do with me, but I feel I have to stand up and be outraged on behalf of all those poor people who should be outraged but who don't realise it ............ or who don't give a shit)

Clutching my pearls, with smelling salts at the ready, so it should all be alright (no-one will be able to see this anyway, will they......?)
:wink:

Errmm .... did they have lacey frills round the edges?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
It isn't a racist word or hateful term on it's own, depends how you use it. Up to you how you feel about it personally, but I wouldn't bet that your view is the most common amongst Irish people.

As you say it depends how it is used,at worst i see it as just annoying and unoriginal.What does offend me immensely is being called a plastic paddy because i have lived in England the vast majority of my life and don`t have an Irish accent regardless of the fact both my parents were Irish and i was born in Ireland,not sure how much more Irish you can get then that !.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As you say it depends how it is used,at worst i see it as just annoying and unoriginal.What does offend me immensely is being called a plastic paddy because i have lived in England the vast majority of my life and don`t have an Irish accent regardless of the fact both my parents were Irish and i was born in Ireland,not sure how much more Irish you can get then that !.

Depends to whom you are presenting yourself as Irish. Given you have sufficient credentials, should you wish to lay claim to that heritage, detractors, even those dressed as leprechauns and proclaiming begorrah, to be sure, can sod off, I would suggest.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Couldn't agree more.
The world is a sadder place compared to 30 years ago.
The likes of Frank Carson and Bernard Manning and Charlie Williams would be comedians who would never have made the grade on mainstream TV sadly.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Bernard Manning wasn't on mainstream TV in the seventies either, I don;t think.

But I agree that without context we don't know how racist this was. If we look at seventies TV, we have at one end Alf Garnett, at the other end Private walker calling Private Fraser "Taffy". It's easier to be offended by the former than the latter, but people do apparently get offended by the latter.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
After the issues at Yorkshire County Cricket Club with racism issues it's now reached Cricket Scotland too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-62277613

As for "pom" - isn't it POHM = Prisoner Of His/Her Majesty - a name given to the British convicts shipped out the Aus?

https://wavelengthmag.com/why-do-aussies-call-brits-poms/

I don't think that meaning holds up too well. There doesn't seem to be one accepted theory on its introduction but here are a few. I like the pomegranate one myself.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pom is a name given by Australians to Brits, so it can't mean Prisoner of His Majesty because that's the Australians.

A cobber of mine told me the other day that the real Prisoners of Her Majesty were you lot back in the motherland. That made me laugh. Although it was followed by a tirade of why someone would choose to stay in the UK and not live here. 'The mistake they made was sending the convicts out and not leaving them in the UK and moving everyone else here'.

I asked when he was in the UK, where and how much time he had spent there (you know in order to make a reasonable comparison of the two countries). I am sure you have guessed the answer. "Never been mate, why would I?"

Indeed!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Couldn't agree more.
The world is a sadder place compared to 30 years ago.
The likes of Frank Carson and Bernard Manning and Charlie Williams would be comedians who would never have made the grade on mainstream TV sadly.

I have to disagree with you here. I think the world is a better place for not having a comedian punching down and making shit jokes based on people's gender, nationality or race. To be fair though I thought the same 30 years ago. I much prefer the comedy that is around these days.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I have to disagree with you here. I think the world is a better place for not having a comedian punching down and making shit jokes based on people's gender, nationality or race. To be fair though I thought the same 30 years ago. I much prefer the comedy that is around these days.
I bet you don't even know who Charlie Williams is ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I bet you don't even know who Charlie Williams is ?

I know Frank Carson and Bernard Manning. Frank Carson wasn't too bad, not really my thing though. Although he had a reasonable TV career didn't he? Was Charlie Williams the black guy that appears on those The comedian's shows? Did lots of jokes poking fun at his own colour? A bit before my time to be honest.

To be fair my comment was more directed at Manning etc (those you implied wouldn't get much exposure these days) and the idea that comedy was better in the good old days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here