A Question of Sport in the 1970s

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Through a series of clicks I won't bore you with, I ended up reading the Wikipedia entry for A Question of Sport. One thing really struck me- how come the captains for the period between 1977-79 are listed as "unknown"? Surely it can't be that much of a mystery, it's hardly the lost continent of Atlantis, or Jesus's wife- there must still be people around who remember!

Do any of NSC's more, er, "vintage" posters can remember who the captains were back then? I'm from the Emlyn Hughes/ Bill Beaumont era myself so I don't remember it.

Any ideas?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Gareth Edwards was a captain. If my memory serves me right, he was a captain before these two. I reckon he was on the show with Hughes so perhaps he was replaced by Bill Beaumont. Willie Carson, with his incredibly annoying laugh, was a captain but I can't remember if he was pre or post these two. Anyways have fond memories of the bright coloured V neck jumpers.

Johners

Jul 6, 2003
Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
The captains from 1977 - 1979 were Brenddan Foster & Henry Cooper, Foster having replaced Cliff Morgan in '77. Emlyn Hughes & Gareth Edwards then took over in 1979. As per the BBC Question of Sport section

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports