Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Question For Parents And Those Alike.

Jul 22, 2003
My 8 year old daughter goes to games fairly regularly and has got to know quite a few of the songs sung by us and opposition fans (fortunately she's not heard, "My Old Man..... yet!).

Out of the blue yesterday evening she asked, "Dad, why did the QPR fans sing YMCA to us?"

Although she's clever and very mature for her age, I didn't think it appropriate to tell her why, deciding instead to go for the, "I'm not sure, I'll have to find out" option.

Over to you lot. Any ideas?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Just tell her it's a song that QPR fans sing to themselves as most of them are sadly very poor and have to stay at the YMCA as they don't have homes of their own.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think you've taken the right option. If she comes back again and insists on knowing then just tell her that it is a way of taking the mickey out of us.

I was very straight and open with both of my kids regarding sex and issues around that but I also don't believe in going any further than the initial question unless they ask further questions.

She is still only 8 after all. But be truthful when the questions come.

I'm going to have to start my own agony aunt column aren't I? :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
tell her the truth

At the end of the day, she will find out in the playground what homosexuality is all about so be frank and honest with her.

We brought our two up without ducking issues, even at a relatively young age

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My 8yo boy knows full well what 'gay' is - and I guess your daughter does too. Just tell her - and make it clear that it rather stupid - but football crowds are often like that :)

My 'problem' is finding ways of joining in the singing and encouraging my kids (8 and 12) without resorting to the sort of language we do not use at home (although again, we are quite happy to talk about it and refer to the f-word etc...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here