A question for NSC's cycling and commuting fraternity

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
When I last worked in London six years ago, you could still take your bike on the train in the rush hour. I gather that is no longer possible unless you have a folding bike (how that squares with the Government's call for action on global warming is the subject of another thread). I am shortly to return to the UK from Berlin and want to bring my bike with me. My question is this: if I arrive at Waterloo off Eurostar at around 19.30 can I take my bike on (a) the tube to Victoria and (b) on the train to Brighton from Victoria? In case you're wondering why I don't cycle from Waterloo to Victoria, I will have quite a bit of luggage with me.

Any information gratefully received.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not sure about the tubes, however restrictions on cycles on the Victoria to Brighton mainline are during peak hours only, so you should be fine.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/974.aspx

Victoria Line Tube - No you can't

Victoria Line and Waterloo & City Line
Non-folding bicycles must not be taken on the Victoria Line or the Waterloo & City Line.

Cheers for that, Mr P - NSC comes up trumps again. If I can struggle up to Embankment, looks like I should be OK to get to Victoria. Don't what to sound like the typical whingeing ex-pat, but just what sort of country am I coming back to? Have obviously been spoilt in Vienna and Berlin with their sensible, cycle-friendly transport policies.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Cheers for that, Mr P - NSC comes up trumps again. If I can struggle up to Embankment, looks like I should be OK to get to Victoria. Don't what to sound like the typical whingeing ex-pat, but just what sort of country am I coming back to? Have obviously been spoilt in Vienna and Berlin with their sensible, cycle-friendly transport policies.

Yes you have.

The UK's a weird country. The government makes noises about how it wants people to cycle more. The Mayor of London makes noises about how he wants people to cycle more. Local councils make noises about how they want people to cycle more. Yet ....

- you can't take trains on peak hours in the Southern region (and peak hours means between 6.00 and 9.00 in the morning and 3.00 and 7.00 in the evening)

- you can't bikes on 99% of tube journeys

- there are few usable cycle lanes (and those that do exist are often clogged up with cars and people)

- in London you have to battle with the bendy buses at regular intervals

- there are few bike parking spaces so you have to tie bikes to street furniture

Having cycled on the continent (particularly in Germany) I know how easy it is to get around, the UK is a long, long way behind most countries and, sadly, looks like making no effort to change.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Yes you have.

The UK's a weird country. The government makes noises about how it wants people to cycle more. The Mayor of London makes noises about how he wants people to cycle more. Local councils make noises about how they want people to cycle more. Yet ....

- you can't take trains on peak hours in the Southern region (and peak hours means between 6.00 and 9.00 in the morning and 3.00 and 7.00 in the evening)

- you can't bikes on 99% of tube journeys

- there are few usable cycle lanes (and those that do exist are often clogged up with cars and people)

- in London you have to battle with the bendy buses at regular intervals

- there are few bike parking spaces so you have to tie bikes to street furniture

Having cycled on the continent (particularly in Germany) I know how easy it is to get around, the UK is a long, long way behind most countries and, sadly, looks like making no effort to change.

There are estimated to be 2 million bikes in Berlin, a ratio of one bike to every two inhabitants. I guess that's a reflection of how easy it is to get around by bike here, although the fact that Berlin is relatively flat and has a young population probably has something to do with it. Sometimes you have to look a bit, but the provision of proper "hitching posts" for bikes is so widespread that you will always find somewhere secure to park your bike. (For some reason that reminds me of a Billy Connolly joke.)

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
When I last worked in London six years ago, you could still take your bike on the train in the rush hour. I gather that is no longer possible unless you have a folding bike (how that squares with the Government's call for action on global warming is the subject of another thread). I am shortly to return to the UK from Berlin and want to bring my bike with me. My question is this: if I arrive at Waterloo off Eurostar at around 19.30 can I take my bike on (a) the tube to Victoria and (b) on the train to Brighton from Victoria? In case you're wondering why I don't cycle from Waterloo to Victoria, I will have quite a bit of luggage with me.

Any information gratefully received.

Why don't you just get a train from Waterloo to Clapham Junction and then pick up the Brighton train from there. No need for a tube.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
just ride it to were u want to go, may take a little longer, but you wouldnt have ot worry about which train u can or cant take

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
trailer, saddle bags :laugh:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suppose that might just be a bit quicker but the train stopping every 5 minutes would make it feel double the length.

I did this last year, by the time you've stopped at every tiny station in East Sussex and gone in and out of Eastbourne, it's taken an age. It's quicker to go on to London and get the fast train home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports