Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question about Premier league Parachute payments

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So the deal is if you go down you get 4 years parachute payments.

My question is do these payments automatically get stopped if you got promoted back to the premier league the following year (ie if Blackpool went up this year)

Seems obvious they would but unable to find confirmation

Cheers

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
In addition to Dougal's question, I was also wondering if you get 40m per year that you are in the Premiership? Or whether it's just the first year to help give you a bump up?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The parachute payments cease if you go back up.
There is no actual payment for going up as described in the second question as far as I know, but the value of tv money etc starts straight away with a hefty lump to all clubs up front then phased payments throughout the year.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
In addition to Dougal's question, I was also wondering if you get 40m per year that you are in the Premiership? Or whether it's just the first year to help give you a bump up?

I think the £40m per year is an estimated figure based on much larger TV revenue (about £20m minimum at a guess), extra sponsorship, extra gate receipts etc. So the £40m would be every year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is the £40M figure based on finishing bottom ? You get more for finishing higher.

SuperJP20

Jun 9, 2011
In response to the original poster, if a team goes back to the premier league within the four years, the payments are stopped yes - and the money is divided between the remaining teams in the football league

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How much do parachutes cost these days? Seems a lot.

Sorry.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Is the £40M figure based on finishing bottom ? You get more for finishing higher.

You get around £750,000 for finishing bottom and each place goes up by about the same. The winners get around £15 Million. I guess once you add on advertising, TV rights and gate receipts it gets to around £40 million. Manchester United pulled in £60 million from these last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here