Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A pride of seagulls

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Rubbish comment. It's like saying a 13 y.o. could do better than Jackson Pollock. It's the oldest kop out by talentless people...

Not at all. When someone says Ryan Harley is shit, does that mean that they are claiming to be better at football than him? I've read that he is shit hundreds of times on NSC, yet he is ten times the player that anyone else on NSC is. He's a professional, so is Atilla. I was just pointing out that this particular effort from Atilla is poor. Where's the cop out?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Not at all. When someone says Ryan Harley is shit, does that mean that they are claiming to be better at football than him? I've read that he is shit hundreds of times on NSC, yet he is ten times the player that anyone else on NSC is. He's a professional, so is Atilla. I was just pointing out that this particular effort from Atilla is poor. Where's the cop out?

I think the answer is that the poem was aimed at people like yourself :)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It isn't Wordsworth, Keats, or Coleridge. It's not Byron or Burns.

But it is attila. And it's to the point, so well written that man.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think the answer is that the poem was aimed at people like yourself :)

Are you suggesting that because Commander doesn't like the poem that he's homophobic? What a crap argument. Really crap. Spectacularly crap. Ad Hominem. Or possibly Ad Homo-nem in this instance.

Got no really strong opinions on the poem other than Attila's poems do all seem to be a bit samey. I'm no English graduate so not sure if it's called metre or rhythm but the four line "Der-Der-Der-Der...Der-Der-Der-Der..." Does seem to be a favourite.

I'm also uncomfortable when someone claims to speak for all Brighton fans especially over something non-footie related and extremely contentious. The perennial debates on here every single Pride make clear that there's a sizeable section of support that aren't proud of Pride even if they themselves join in with the "you're too ugly to be gay" chant. I'm happy with my son singing "when I was just a little boy..." That doesn't mean I'm happy for him to actually get my hypothetical gun shoot the Palace scum. Terrace banter is just that. Lets not read too much into them.

Last edited:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton

Find something to do mate. There really is a big world out there waiting for you.

We all enjoyed reading it, you didn't; best thing to do is close the thread and move on eh?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Find something to do mate. There really is a big world out there waiting for you.

We all enjoyed reading it, you didn't; best thing to do is close the thread and move on eh?

Once again, rubbish. This is a forum where people exchange views. Attila put the poem up here voluntarily and with that comes the possibility that some people might not like it and might even say so.

I suggest that it's you that should move away from this forum if you don't like reading differing views.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why - because the righties haven't got the creative ability to put a coherent sentence, let alone a poem, together ?

Yeah, just what the hell was all that drivel that Ted Hughes, Philip Larkin, Kingsley Amis, Vladimir Nabokov and Iris Murdoch wrote about. Not an ounce of creative ability between them.

Seriously - if you think that poetry by right-wingers doesn't exist then you have to read Nabokov's 'Pale Fire'. And just because I like to pop the myth that only left-wingers can claim to be proficient poets it doesn't mean that I agree or disagree with Beach Hut's post.

Personally, I think Pride is a fantastic event and another reason why I live in the best town in the UK although having done a few of them they get, like certain poetry, a bit samey.

I got more enjoyment wandering around the town early today and seeing all the gurners and wasted people. It's very funny.

Last edited:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Attila, thank you for your 'rubbish' poem with its 'leftie bollox'. I clearly like sub standard poetry and occupy the wrong side of the political spectrum.

Still I enjoyed Pride yesterday, deciding not throw a few glasses in a random pub in the Leeds area...

P.S Well done to those on here who immediately showed indifference to those who did try to score trouble yesterday, NSC always redeems itself as soon as I start to lose the faith.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Here's something. I was up at the Leeds game yesterday with, amongst others, 2 gay blokes. Proper, real-life gays. One's a STH at Falmer and the other, his boyfriend and one of my best mates, is a work-in-progress with regards to being a Brighton fan.

Not sure what point that makes but just thought it was an interesting aside.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Speaking as an award winning poet that also has had stuff printed in the Argus, as well as in several fanzines and an Albion book, I'd just like to say that I enjoyed it. Keep up the good work Attila.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Are you suggesting that because Commander doesn't like the poem that he's homophobic? What a crap argument. Really crap. Spectacularly crap. Ad Hominem. Or possibly Ad Homo-nem in this instance.

Got no really strong opinions on the poem other than Attila's poems do all seem to be a bit samey. I'm no English graduate so not sure if it's called metre or rhythm but the four line "Der-Der-Der-Der...Der-Der-Der-Der..." Does seem to be a favourite.

I'm also uncomfortable when someone claims to speak for all Brighton fans especially over something non-footie related and extremely contentious. The perennial debates on here every single Pride make clear that there's a sizeable section of support that aren't proud of Pride even if they themselves join in with the "you're too ugly to be gay" chant. I'm happy with my son singing "when I was just a little boy..." That doesn't mean I'm happy for him to actually get my hypothetical gun shoot the Palace scum. Terrace banter is just that. Lets not read too much into them.

Buzzer, I say 'most of us' not 'all' and I think that is fair comment. And more of my poems are blank verse than rhyming couplets - but most of those aren't about football :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I take your point, and I mean no malice in my posts, honestly but I really don't like it when football gets politicised nor when you claim to speak for 'most'. Do you know this for a fact and even if most people agree with you, as I do, that Pride is a good thing are you sure that they are happy for you to claim to represent their views? I'm not. My views are my own and no-one else's.

I'm happy for the club to have one corporate (in the purest sense of the word) view because it is one entity but with regards to the fans let's keep our non-football opinions to ourselves.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I suggest that it's you that should move away from this forum if you don't like reading differing views.

Oh do **** off and get a life. It's a ****ing harmless poem and some small minded chap doesn't like it. "Ooh I'm going to protest"

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The Argus asked me to write a poem for Pride, so I did. Then as is so often the case they completely f***ed up the way it was laid out and made me look like an idiot. So I thought I'd put the proper version on here, so that you can see that before you decide whether I'm an idiot or not :) Ironic that we're playing Leeds today, since they are probably the worst! And why won't NSC let me put the title of the poem in capitals as a thread starter? That makes me look a bit of an idiot too...

A PRIDE OF SEAGULLS

You flood our friendly city’s streets
In a flamboyant tide
We welcome you and celebrate
The glory that is Pride.

Yes, we can see you holding hands.
It’s not that hard to tell!
Your boyfriends know that you are here -
Because they’re here as well.

We’re in the twenty-first century.
It’s all quite normal. Yet
Some sing such chants at Brighton fans
And think we’ll be upset......

Oh, Oscar Wilde! Such cutting wit!
No need to have them muzzled.
It’s far more fun to fling ‘em back
And see the morons puzzled.

Thus: ‘You’re too ugly to be gay’
We sing. They are perplexed.
And ‘One nil to the nancy boys’
Just leaves them doubly vexed.

Yes, we are Brighton, from the South.
I’m sure that most will say
Proud of our city and our club -
And proud for you today.

It's Leeds Pride today

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh do **** off and get a life. It's a ****ing harmless poem and some small minded chap doesn't like it. "Ooh I'm going to protest"

No-one's protesting are they? Poem goes up, someone says 'I don't like it', poet says 'ah well'. You're the one getting all sweary about this and the one telling people to get a life. Err...right.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
No-one's protesting are they? Poem goes up, someone says 'I don't like it', poet says 'ah well'. You're the one getting all sweary about this and the one telling people to get a life. Err...right.

Very nice, you can have the last word. Move on. Hugs

the argus asked me to write a poem for pride, so i did. Then as is so often the case they completely f***ed up the way it was laid out and made me look like an idiot. So i thought i'd put the proper version on here, so that you can see that before you decide whether i'm an idiot or not :) ironic that we're playing leeds today, since they are probably the worst! And why won't nsc let me put the title of the poem in capitals as a thread starter? That makes me look a bit of an idiot too...

A pride of seagulls

you flood our friendly city’s streets
in a flamboyant tide
we welcome you and celebrate
the glory that is pride.

Yes, we can see you holding hands.
It’s not that hard to tell!
Your boyfriends know that you are here -
because they’re here as well.

We’re in the twenty-first century.
It’s all quite normal. Yet
some sing such chants at brighton fans
and think we’ll be upset......

Oh, oscar wilde! Such cutting wit!
No need to have them muzzled.
It’s far more fun to fling ‘em back
and see the morons puzzled.

Thus: ‘you’re too ugly to be gay’
we sing. They are perplexed.
And ‘one nil to the nancy boys’
just leaves them doubly vexed.

Yes, we are brighton, from the south.
I’m sure that most will say
proud of our city and our club -
and proud for you today.

Loved the rubbish,piss and sick between the theatre royal and the bus stop,do come again:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here