Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Premiership conspiracy

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
Some wag on Posh Net has spotted an opportunity for skullduggery this weekend:

With Charlton relegated tonight, the last remaining relegation place will go to either Wigan, West Ham, or Sheffield United.

16 Sheff Utd 37 -22 38
17 West Ham 37 -25 38
---------------------
18 Wigan 37 -23 35

and these are Sundays fixtures:

Man Utd v West Ham,
Sheff Utd v Wigan,

although Man Utd are already champions, I would say that West Ham have a hard task on saturday, so here is the conspiracy theory:

With both Sheff Utd & Wigan feeling somewhat miffed in the way that West Ham avoided a points deduction - IF West Ham are losing by 3 goals after 80 mins on Saturday, and therefore very unlikely to get a point, the players at Bramhall Lane ensure that Wigan win by one goal, thus ensuring that West Ham take the relegation place.

I wouldn't put it passed these professionals, is anyone with me with this thought??
Plausible?

Reading Posh said:
Some wag on Posh Net has spotted an opportunity for skullduggery this weekend:

Plausible?

Huh? Why WH losing by 3? They only have to lose by one goal, Wigan win by one goal, and West Ham are down. That would make level points with Wigan and SU staying up on goal difference
That's according to the table I'm looking at anway.
It would end;

16 Wigan 38 -22 38
17 Sheff Utd 38 -23 38
---------------------
18 West Ham 38 -26 38

Last edited:

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
Re: Re: A Premiership conspiracy

NMH said:
Huh? Why WH losing by 3? They only have to lose by one goal, Wigan win by one goal, and West Ham are down. That would make level points and level goal difference, with Wigan staying up on goals scored.
That's according to the table I'm looking at anway.
I hate it when people are sensible on t'interweb messageboards :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Man Utd will probably rest half their team for the FA Cup though. :nono:

Factors include;

West Ham won v MU at their place. MU's reserves would have a lot to play for as individuals, as it might mean a place in the FA Cup squad. I imagine that West Ham's first team might struggle to come up to the quality of ManU's reserves, at Old Trafford.
Tomorrow evening, ManU play at Chelsea, not having to win, or even draw.

Can you really see MU capitulating, getting dominated at their own drum? Would Ferguson be satisfied to see that happen, coming under fierce criticisms from all over the league, to taint another season of league glory?

I wouldn't bet on any outcome, but I wouldn't imagine ManU treating the fixture less than seriously.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Wozza said:
Man Utd will probably rest half their team for the FA Cup though. :nono:

I wouldn't be so sure, West Ham have cost Ferguson two titles now, I reckon this could be payback time :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Also even if it did happen and they knew the game was fixed the FA could hardly relegate Wigan or Sheffield United for cheating could they?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I 'd love to see West Ham go down and Wigan and Sheff Utd stay up with a bit of cheating..poetic justice no??

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I still think Sheff United will gop down. I can see Wigan beating them and West Ham drawing with a second string United.

Another problem with this whole concept of 'someone cheating', is that there are no sureties involved for any kind of manipulations. Say SU 'deliberately lost' to Wigan - there's no guarantee that West Ham would lose, and there would then be the embarrassment of SU getting relegated - having deliberately lost to SU!

Say, however, ManU were beating West Ham by 4 goals with 2 minutes left.... they might be fairly sure..... but if WH scored 4 in the final minutes and drew it - down you go SU!

No, nobody can afford to take a chance, and only WH getting a point will assure them of safety. Wigan are up against a side who will play at home, with a lot of intent - and on form, Sheffield United are looking a lot better at this end of the season.

Wigan are down, unless they can create 'an upset'.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Does anybody really think Sheffield United will even flirt ever so slightly with going down just to send West Ham down. Not a chance in hell.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Les Biehn said:
Does anybody really think Sheffield United will even flirt ever so slightly with going down just to send West Ham down. Not a chance in hell.

Not a chance mate. Sheff utd and wigan players will probably not know the score at Old Trafford. Sheff utd simply have to win because if west ham win (unlikely) and wigan win, Sheffield are down.

All west ham and sheffield need to do is to draw to secure their safety....Wigan have to win.

I personally think we might get a draw. Fergie has promised to field a strong side, although Fergie and Curbishley are best mates.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Wasn't there a game many many years ago involving Coventry City. Where they and the other team knew the result of another game a f***ed about for the last few minutes to ensure Cov stayed up?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
West Ham will get a draw at Utd and Wigan will get done 3 - 0 at Sheff so all irrelavant but yeah I get ya point

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Just Like Liverpool were going to roll over and let Blackburn win to pip Man U for the title..I remember it well, Blackburn fans in the Kop end, Liverpool fans cheering for Blackburn...then..oh dear, Liverpool beat Blackburn, but Manure couldn't beat West Ham, so title still goes to Blackburn.

No one would even contemplate throwing a game at this Level.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
coventrygull said:
Wasn't there a game many many years ago involving Coventry City. Where they and the other team knew the result of another game a f***ed about for the last few minutes to ensure Cov stayed up?
I remember vaguely, but that was before the days of making everybody kick off their last game at the same time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here