Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A pedant writes ....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So you refer to us as being in the Division 2? You never say we're in the Championship?

As someone else said, the rebranding of leagues is ridiculous and in my mind, diminishes the achievements of those that went before. I don't give a damn whether it is the Premier League or the Premiership, it is still just the top flite of English Football. As for the championship, it is a ridiculous name for the second division.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
well, if it bothers the pedants so much, i shall henceforth be calling it the Premier Ship and pronouncing Premier as Prem-eer in a full on whiny American accent.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I particularly dislike it when players from the 1970s and 1980s say things like: 'And then, the following season we got promoted to the Premiership.' No, you didn't. It was Division One. You don't have to insult us by trying to make it relevant. We know what Division One means. We know you are not saying you were promoted to 'League One'.

OK, off my soapbox.

Easily avoided by saying 'the top flight' - although it bugs me how often the Premier League/Premiership is used in statistics these days as in 'lowest points total ever for a season in the Premier League' or 'never beaten them away in the Premier League' etc, as if the First Division never existed.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Fair enough. So this wasn't you who started this thread?

Championship program question....

No, it was my evil twin! In my defence had I have asked about showing the goals in the second division you would have probably thought I meant the fourth division? And wasn't it on ITV then and called The Championship (yes it was!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_Goals)?

On a side note you should probably get out more if you can remember threads I posted 5 and a bit years ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, it was my evil twin! In my defence had I have asked about showing the goals in the second division you would have probably thought I meant the fourth division? And wasn't it on ITV then and called The Championship (yes it was!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_Goals)?

On a side note you should probably get out more if you can remember threads I posted 5 and a bit years ago.

He doesn't have to remember anything. It takes a few seconds to do a search with a key word and your username.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I can't believe people actually get wound up by this?

fair enough if its the media, but if its a mate down the pub or someone on here, does it really matter? you all know what eachover are talking about.

Surely its as pointless as pointing out someone calling a hoover a hoover, when its a vaccum cleaner. who gives a twits arse.

Finally someone who agrees!!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

As Thunder Bolt says, I used the phenomenal search function.

You said you would only refer to the Championship as Division 2. I attached a quote in the previous post were you referred to the league as the championship. Sorry.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
He doesn't have to remember anything. It takes a few seconds to do a search with a key word and your username.

What a sad **** that makes him then!

As Thunder Bolt says, I used the phenomenal search function.

You said you would only refer to the Championship as Division 2. I attached a quote in the previous post were you referred to the league as the championship. Sorry.

See my previous response to Thunder Bolt!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
What a sad **** that makes him then!

See my previous response to Thunder Bolt!

So because you were COMPLETELY wrong and it took me (I would estimate) 20 seconds to prove it, you now get all angry.

My proving you wrong wasn't even malicious. It was quite jokey. However, it seems you REALLY didn't like it.

I'm sorry if I upset you (as it appears I have). That was never my intention.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So because you were COMPLETELY wrong and it took me (I would estimate) 20 seconds to prove it, you now get all angry.

No I wasn't, if anything it was you who was wrong! The programme on the telly was called The Championship! If I'd said division 2 mongy little ***** like you would have sneered at me "oowww don't you mean the championship".

My proving you wrong wasn't even malicious. It was quite jokey. However, it seems you REALLY didn't like it.

I won't lose any sleep over it fella. Just don't understand the mentality of someone who would go back through 5 years of posts to point score on something so trivial regardless of whether it took 20 seconds or 20 hours!

Well done though you've made yourself look well cool in front of your internet buddies!

I'm sorry if I upset you (as it appears I have). That was never my intention.

Apology not excepted. You're a sad ****!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No I wasn't, if anything it was you who was wrong! The programme on the telly was called The Championship! If I'd said division 2 mongy little ***** like you would have sneered at me "oowww don't you mean the championship".

I won't lose any sleep over it fella. Just don't understand the mentality of someone who would go back through 5 years of posts to point score on something so trivial regardless of whether it took 20 seconds or 20 hours!

Well done though you've made yourself look well cool in front of your internet buddies!

Apology not excepted. You're a sad ****!

You still seem quite angry.

In fact the irony of you spending more time writing a rant and re-quoting me than I did using the really quick search funtion is quite amusing.

Anyway, I do apologise as I really hate upsetting people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here