Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A pedant writes ....

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I had it pointed out to me a few years back but I LIKE the fact people say Premiership because it's getting the name wrong which will REALLY piss off TV types.

It ruins my day when I hear someone refer to a public address system as a Tannoy!. I am with Arthur though on 'Division 1', if they want to give the top two divisions stupid names then at least (if they must) change the names of the lower tiers accordingly (League 3 and League 4).

the only one's that get anywhere near making my piss boil though are EPL, PIN number, reversing backwards and Inter Milan

"Cheaper prices" gets me, as does a favourite of mine - "underground tunnels", presumably to differentiate them from above ground tunnels.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It's just a corporate rebranding stunt. I will keep calling it the Premiership, and people will know what I'm talking about. I doubt the French or Germans have the same problem.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The division above the Championship is not the Premiership. It's the Premier League. It hasn't been the Premiership since 2007.

I know the Argus keeps on about the Premiership, but their sub-editors are know-nothing f*ckwits who work from Southampton. The educated persons who contribute to this site are better than that. Aren't we?

As I pointed out too... very, very sloppy and irritating.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The thing is 'Premiership' was a nonsense term in football and has a correct meaning ('the period in which someone is Prime Minister') so the change to Premier League was very welcome.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think they binned the Premiership moniker because people outside it kept calling it the Premiershit.

Or something.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
I think they binned the Premiership moniker because people outside it kept calling it the Premiershit.

Or something.

Wasn't it to do with folks being confused with the Rugby Premiership - they wanted more differentiation? Team names and diff ball shape were not enough

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wasn't it to do with folks being confused with the Rugby Premiership - they wanted more differentiation? Team names and diff ball shape were not enough

Well, it can get confusing at times. Have you ever watched Stoke ?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think we've got a good chance in the Milk cup next year if we go up. Now Thatcher's dead.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not sure why we have to have all this silly branding. If nothing else it makes it complicated explaining to people who don't know what league everyone is. I mean how on earth can the third tier of English football be called League 1 FFS !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here