Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A One-Man Team

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Remember a few years ago when Albion were regularly accused by opposing fans of being a one-man team during Bobby Zamora's time at the club? Well, this season Cardiff City really have been just that - a one-man team.

Not only has striker Michael Chopra scored a ridiculous 40% of the club's goals during the current campaign but, incredibly, the rest of the team haven't managed to score a single goal in any competition when Chopra's not been on the field of play.

He's missed five league and cup matches through injury or suspension. Cardiff haven't scored in any of them. And the side hasn't scored a goal in any game after he's been substituted.

Chopra's suspended for the final game of the season at Ipswich on Sunday. My hopes for a Cardiff victory aren't high.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We were clearly a one man team, despite some decent results without Bob. Our climb up the league was down to one man. That is the reason why I scoff at demands to reinstate Micky in the hotseat. These players do not come along very often, but they must be cherished when they do. I can safely say, without Bob, we would have spent 8 seasons in the lower tier.

Any chance of holdiing onto Chopra?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Barrel of Fun said:
Any chance of holding onto Chopra?

The chances are very slim. Although he's recently signed a new, improved contract, he's still odds-on to be sold during the summer. He was talking about his ambitions to get back to the Premiership next season with or without Cardiff as early as Christmas, and Dave Jones has sounded resigned to losing him in recent interviews.

God help us next year.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You managed to lose to Hull City, that is good enough for me...but good luck for next year, with or without Chopra.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Barrel of Fun said:
We were clearly a one man team, despite some decent results without Bob. Our climb up the league was down to one man. That is the reason why I scoff at demands to reinstate Micky in the hotseat. These players do not come along very often, but they must be cherished when they do. I can safely say, without Bob, we would have spent 8 seasons in the lower tier.

Any chance of holdiing onto Chopra?

I agree to an extent. Without Zamora, we wouldn't have left Division 2, that's for sure. However, Adams assembled the nucleus of a team by bringing in players - Brooker, Carpenter, Cullip, Jones, Oatway Watson, and (combined with Hart and Mayo) got us playing bloody good football, more than capable of being a top half team in the current league we are in.

That is what Wilkins has do do over the summer. Some experienced lower league 'journeymen' would do nicely, to go with the 'solid' players we already have...such as...er...Reid and Hinsh.

As for Cardiff - how come no big clubs have cmoe in for Chopra?

That is :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Withdean Wanderer said:
I agree to an extent. Without Zamora, we wouldn't have left Division 2, that's for sure. However, Adams assembled the nucleus of a team by bringing in players - Brooker, Carpenter, Cullip, Jones, Oatway Watson, and (combined with Hart and Mayo) got us playing bloody good football, more than capable of being a top half team in the current league we are in.

That is what Wilkins has do do over the summer. Some experienced lower league 'journeymen' would do nicely, to go with the 'solid' players we already have...such as...er...Reid and Hinsh.

As for Cardiff - how come no big clubs have cmoe in for Chopra?

That is :)

I was probably a bit too harsh, but BZ was flattering on MA, despite him being his signing. I don't think we would have reached the Championship without him. MA did sign us some great players and indeed the backbone of out team for four/five years. As you say, Deano has the job of replacing that backbone. MM lost players and was never quite able to replace them, for whatever reason. Let's hope he is up to the job and I really REALLY want him to suceed. More than any other manager in my supporting career.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Barrel of Fun said:
I was probably a bit too harsh, but BZ was flattering on MA, despite him being his signing. I don't think we would have reached the Championship without him. MA did sign us some great players and indeed the backbone of out team for four/five years. As you say, Deano has the job of replacing that backbone. MM lost players and was never quite able to replace them, for whatever reason. Let's hope he is up to the job and I really REALLY want him to suceed. More than any other manager in my supporting career.

Although BZ scored all the goals the defence, with Cullip as the leader was also very solid.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Laughing Bluebird.

Would you like to have Mr Earnshaw back?

He used to be neck and neck with BZ in the goalscoring stakes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here