Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A(nother) transfer Thread

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
What's funny is that if you disagree with someone, you're a moaner!

If you feel like you own this forum, you ridicule someone starting a thread about something that there are many threads about!

Here's the thing to all those moaning at me starting this...my title is very, very clear. Crystal clear in fact. So why open it? Are your lives that boring that you can only enjoy yourselves by opening it merely to have a pop at me for writing 'another' thread?

Dear oh dear, it is actually quite sad..

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Funny how the usual moaners will stand up and support the thread, as they want as many moaning threads as possible. However, you're not supposed to question the need for yet another thread on the same subject, as you're apparently having a swipe.

Except that I have made it very clear that I am not moaning and feel that I am asking a very legitimate question as to just how 'ready' we are to bring players in.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Interesting post seagull by sea..

Agreed, I look at seagulls website every day waiting for transfers to happen, getting bored of nothing happening..

Done great to get sammi, but where's the decent players we have the elite performance training ground now to suck them in

It is very boring but I check every day because I believed the club were 'ready' at any time to buy players and that is the point I am raising, are we really that prepared?

Only a few people are getting that point it seems...

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Ok, before you shoot me down, hear me out....

The frustration is growing daily within me and many others with our lack of transfer deals. I am not a JCL and have supported the club for over 35 years. I also fully support TB.

However, it is worrying that we have not made any significant signings, ie to at least cover the players we lost/let go...2 keepers, 1 centre half, 1 playmaker (PIG, Upson & Orlandi). These are the minimum we need to replace as you could argue that Walton will take Brez's place, Toko to replace Bridcutt, a returning CMS to replace Barnes etc..

The 3 positions I mentioned are crucial and that is before we even talk about a new striker (or 2).

The reason I am worried is that we are all fed the company line that we have monitored many players and could move for a player at 'any time' once the manager makes clear the attributes he is looking for. Burke has a 'list' you see.

Well, Hyypia has been here a little while now and one would hope he has already identified some players, at least one at least?! So what's with the delay?

We are led to believe that the Spain training camp is very important to bond the players and let Sami get his ideas across so should we not have brought some players in before the camp? I'm not saying it is too late afterwards but surely we should have done everything we can to do some deals before they left?

Before you shout that maybe we did try, here's another point...this 'list' that Burke has should surely be of players that we believe would actually be available and willing to come? There's no point just having a list of good players and then have bids for them turned down, ie Baldock if press releases are to be believed.

I hoped the club had various 'options', real options that they may have sounded out the agents of etc. (don't fool yourself if you think this doesn't happen before an actual bid is made) and that all they wanted was Hyypia's yay or nay before signing them.

As I say, I am not complaining about the club or talking about FFP but we did sign Toko with no manager so surely we had players in mind to move on before we lost the aforementioned players?

And that's numberwang!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The time to worry is end of August. Until then I'm not bothered.

Tony Bloom has said we will have a competitive squad. That's good enough for me.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It is very boring but I check every day because I believed the club were 'ready' at any time to buy players and that is the point I am raising, are we really that prepared?

Only a few people are getting that point it seems...

I'm sure we are all eager to hear news of new quality players. But getting footy players on contract for varying terms and ensuring they are the very correct player for the squad isn't quite as simple as choosing the right Marmalade in Waitrose.
Start to get concerned, in fact I'll join you if we haven't strengthened the squad by the end of the month. It's too early for squeaky bum time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'd imagine the delay is that we are not in a position and do not want to be in a position to offer terms that are impossible to turn down.

We have done that, in the past, for a player we feel we should not lose out on, but there are a plethora of players available at the moment. No one is in a rush. It's just fitness work at the moment and free agents are capable of doing that on their own.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
We bring in a load of Run-of-the-mill squad players as soon as the transfer window opens, to keep the bed wetters happy and watch as they fail to integrate to the squad properly

Or

We take our time, with David Burke and his team identifying realistic targets and making sure they are right for the club and ready to hit the ground running.

I know which scenario I prefer

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
We bring in a load of Run-of-the-mill squad players as soon as the transfer window opens, to keep the bed wetters happy and watch as they fail to integrate to the squad properly

Or

We take our time, with David Burke and his team identifying realistic targets and making sure they are right for the club and ready to hit the ground running.

Totally agree, surprised you even bothered typing that silly second option

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013

Or

I agree but that is exactly my point..we have supposedly done all the homework, checked them out and made sure they were right before the season ended so, where are they?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Or

Now someone has come up with a sensible answer...fans are too impatient these days,not all signings are good,so don't go for anybody who sounds good....a certain Dutch player with a famous name proved that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It looks to me like a "Can we have a serious discussion, please?" thread, but eventually someone will mention doughnuts or pubs or cars with the registration number W4 NKS.

A bloke in my village does have the splendid registration MR 69

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Or

Not only are you correct, but you are facially identical to various celebs and even a locust I've seen recently :smile:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The mantis shrimp should never have won, fact. I'm still firmly in the FIX camp.

Also, I saw a Ferrari on coldean lane today :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here