Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A new season warning about your postings

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They won't take legal action over fans expressing their views. What they can do, is take legal action over fans writing things that are false, and libellous. This is nothing new- Gull's Eye anyone?

It wasn't 'the club' who sued them, it was an individual who happened to be a director. I'm not sure a club can, or should, sue on behalf of an allegedly defamed individual.

But I take what I feel is your general point.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It sounds like someone from the club has had a quiet word with Bozza which shows that they do read what is written on here.

Although I know some people go too far and most of us are unhappy with the signings made so far it is a sad day when the club start issuing threats to its own supporters, Im not one who normally criticises like some on here but I am beginning to lose a bit of faith with the club at the moment.

No one has had a quiet word - I have quite a few loud words with people a the club most days on various things. Neither I, nor they, would deny that NSC is well read by those at the club. Why wouldn't they - it's fast, free (and sometimes effective) market research.

I've not been threatened and neither has the wider NSC community.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Have a think.

Nobody is going to get pulled up by the club they support, for writing on a message board, that the Director of Football is rubbish at spotting players, or that a midfielder is Fat, or that the price of beer had gone up too much.

It is merely being suggested that if you are making claims in a public domain, that a NAMED employee has acted in a specific illegal / immoral / negligent manner, that you need to be very sure of your facts.

Bit of an unnecessary and heavy-handed 'warning' then??

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Have a think.

Nobody is going to get pulled up by the club they support, for writing on a message board, that the Director of Football is rubbish at spotting players, or that a midfielder is Fat, or that the price of beer had gone up too much.

It is merely being suggested that if you are making claims in a public domain, that a NAMED employee has acted in a specific illegal / immoral / negligent manner, that you need to be very sure of your facts.

I don't have a problem with legal action being taken against someone where they transgress in this way. We should all know where to draw the line.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
They won't take legal action over fans expressing their views. What they can do, is take legal action over fans writing things that are false, and libellous. This is nothing new- Gull's Eye anyone?

More detail, please.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't know much about defamation but here's a picture of a kitten.

cat-happy-cat-e1329931204797.jpg

I find that offensive. I hate cats. I am consulting my solicitor.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

It was hardly "heavy handed". He even used the word "gentle".

If someone oversteps the mark, maybe they deserve to get clobbered anyway, but overstepping the mark is something the vast majority of people on here would never think of doing. Simples!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

How is it heavy handed? there has been nothing from the club except a comment in a conversation with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], that its something that came up at the Football League meeting.

All [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has done is remind people (not that anybody with a brain should need reminding) that you are not untouchable / untraceable and that you should consider what you commit to text, on a public domain.

This is nothing to do with criticism of any club. Its to do with defamation.

People have posted on here specific allegations, such as naming the alledged culprit of the dressing room mess, and claiming an extra marital affair between one club employee and the wife of another. Its simply isn't acceptable (or legal) to make this stuff up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It wasn't 'the club' who sued them, it was an individual who happened to be a director. I'm not sure a club can, or should, sue on behalf of an allegedly defamed individual.

But I take what I feel is your general point.

I'm not sure it's possible to libel / slander an organisation either, I thought that could only be directed towards an individual.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If there are genuinely libellous and defamatory comments about individuals at the club on here that are untrue and would damage their reputation if left unchallenged, personally I would not have a problem with anyone at the club (or in life generally) defending their reputation. It is the balance to unfettered 'free speech'.

However what I am more worried about is the club ringing up Bozza, waving the 'legal action' flag and getting just merely awkward/embarrassing/critical stuff taken down which does not legally need to be taken down. And I just hope that when these grey area flashpoints happen - and I'm sure it has/does/will - Bozza can hold the line. It is only a good working relationship if they respect what you're doing as well.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

In the last few years a lot of people on this board seem to have a quite shocking grasp of libel, defamation and the liegal process generally. I think any reminders that stop people or NSC getting into any trouble would be a good thing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If there are genuinely libellous and defamatory comments about individuals at the club on here that are untrue and would damage their reputation if left unchallenged, personally I would not have a problem with anyone at the club (or in life generally) defending their reputation. It is the balance to unfettered 'free speech'.

However what I am more worried about is the club ringing up Bozza, waving the 'legal action' flag and getting just merely awkward/embarrassing/critical stuff taken down which does not legally need to be taken down. And I just hope that when these grey area flashpoints happen - and I'm sure it has/does/will - Bozza can hold the line. It is only a good working relationship if they respect what you're doing as well.

This is all fair comment. Do you not feel that this is the case though?

As far as I know we've never removed anything simply for being awkward, embarrassing or simply critical. If we did there would be nothing letf at the momnet. There are times where maybe we have maybe erred on the side of caution, over things like the Jury's Inn court case, but we'd make no apology for that.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Feedback is the breakfast of champions.

We want the Albion to be champions.

So the more feedback they get, the better. :wink:

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I'm not sure it's possible to libel / slander an organisation either, I thought that could only be directed towards an individual.

completely wrong, a defamation action can be brought against an individual, a limited company, an LLP etc...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
this sort of thing always brings to mind the manager of a large club having an row with a referee and say "hey ref can you book me for what I think" ref says "no of coarse not"
manager then says " in that case I think you are a ****"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought the Football League were going to deal with homophobic issues however clearly they won't given the recent comments posted on Owls Talk.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

If the club really took notice of everything on NSC, they would have signed at least 4 new players and spent £20 million more of Tony's money :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here