Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A mIssed opportunity?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But also everyone knew that we have injuries so I am not sure why "The majority of fans" expected anything different. As it is, one of our squad members Duffy who ended up with an injury and may be out of contention for a game or three.

I can only go by watching highlights and the commentary from Warren and JC and they thought the game was worthy of watching. I would also say that the majority of fans got behind them too.

This is more about how serious Potter is about staying in the Prem than undermining the League Cup.

What would your starting 11 have been btw?

You’re not sure why the fans expected anything else, despite the fact we’ve never fielded such a weakened team and actually used a good blend of experience and youth in the last round, it wasn’t totally unreasonable to expect 2 or 3 more starters.
Personally I would have have just added Mooy, one of the other 4 centre backs (probably not Dunk), and put Murray on the bench.
Also worth noting, Hughton’s priority was Premier League survival, he never threw a cup game though.
The game was interesting to watch as I’d imagine most had never heard of many of the players, let alone seen them in action, but with regards to it being a competitive game, absolutely not.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Certainly after reading the '50 years since Wolves' thread and remembering the great League Cup run in 76/77 I am incredibly disappointed that it was just treated as another version of the FA Youth Cup. We're not a 3rd division side any more who enter these Cup competitions with absolutely no hope of winning them, they are now a genuine chance of us getting some silverware.

No I didn't go and anyone who wants to criticise me for not going yet still having an opinion - fair enough. However I am still interested in Brighton's results.

I like your point about treating it as "another version of the FA Youth Cup". I'm amazed the football league don't stipulate the minimum number of first team squad players who must be included in the starting line-up.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Looking at the highlights it looks like everyone who went had a good night and enjoyed it in the spirit of how it was intended; which was seeing some of our youth players in action who put up a good display against an experienced Villa. I would much rather get the 3 points against Villa in two weeks tbh.

I'm sure everyone would agree that we would rather have the 3 points off Villa, but I beg to differ when you say it looks like everyone who went had a good night. Albion fans watched most of the game in silence punctuated only by the sound of Villa fans making "SSSHHHhhhhhhhhhhh...." noises, and enquiring whether they were in a library.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Last year NSC: "Why are we continuing to put our starters out in the FA cup, its a distraction, it's ridiculous and CH should be given the axe for this kind of short sighted attitude"

This year NSC: "Why are we not putting out first team players to progress in the league cup, why are we not taking it seriously? It's a good distraction for the players to win games, GP should be seriously questioned for this kind of short sighted attitude".

:mad:

Many of us wanted something in-between - and/or some honesty/hints from the club in advance about the importance (or not) of the competition.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We'll take the club at their word that Murray and Maupay (a scratch on his leg :shrug: ) were genuinely unavailable.

The good news emanating from the club is that both trained today and are available for Saturday.

What are the chances?

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Feel that supporters were misled by us playing a youth team. No matter what reason

Imagine the stick Chris Hughton would have received if he played such a side!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You’re not sure why the fans expected anything else, despite the fact we’ve never fielded such a weakened team and actually used a good blend of experience and youth in the last round, it wasn’t totally unreasonable to expect 2 or 3 more starters.
Personally I would have have just added Mooy, one of the other 4 centre backs (probably not Dunk), and put Murray on the bench.
Also worth noting, Hughton’s priority was Premier League survival, he never threw a cup game though.
The game was interesting to watch as I’d imagine most had never heard of many of the players, let alone seen them in action, but with regards to it being a competitive game, absolutely not.

If it was a game on Tuesday not Wednesday it may have included some first team members with an extra days rest, but with such a massive game on Saturday, and given the fitness levels required for our style of play, everyone has to be 100%. We have then got another massive game against Spurs

From the commentary last night we did sound competitive for the first 20 mins and we were always in it until Grealish scored.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Jeez, some massive over reactions nearing hysteria on here. We’re down to the bare bones and at the point where a couple more injuries would leave us severely restricted for two very tough Premier League games. Why risk a Webster or a Mooy when the team was already going to be very weak?

I was disappointed with the team we had to put out but fully understood the decision making. Judge Potter by the team he played at Bristol Rovers, not last night.

Enjoyed watching Davies, Roberts, Connolly and Taylor-Richards.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
First two posts above sum it up, couldn’t risk the thin squad but as a PL team this is arguably our best ever chance to win silverware, disappointing that we don’t take it seriously. Wonder if Bloom has any input into it.

Best chance of silverware continues next Tuesday at Southend!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If it was a game on Tuesday not Wednesday it may have included some first team members with an extra days rest, but with such a massive game on Saturday, and given the fitness levels required for our style of play, everyone has to be 100%. We have then got another massive game against Spurs

From the commentary last night we did sound competitive for the first 20 mins and we were always in it until Grealish scored.

I appreciate your point regarding Tuesday/Wednesday, it’s a fair comment. With regards to the upcoming fixtures, only 2 out of Pröpper, Stephens, Mooy and Bissouma will be starting on Saturday, surely one of them could have featured? Regarding the game, we weren’t really in it, regardless of how the commentators may have spun it, it was men against boys, literally.
Anyway, it’s all pointless as it’s done now, I do wonder what damage has been done regarding future cup ticket sales, a lot of people felt let down after last night.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Jeez, some massive over reactions nearing hysteria on here. We’re down to the bare bones and at the point where a couple more injuries would leave us severely restricted for two very tough Premier League games. Why risk a Webster or a Mooy when the team was already going to be very weak?

I was disappointed with the team we had to put out but fully understood the decision making. Judge Potter by the team he played at Bristol Rovers, not last night.

Enjoyed watching Davies, Roberts, Connolly and Taylor-Richards.

Congratulations on the biggest over reaction on this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here