Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

a minutes silence or a minutes applause??

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Clapping and chanting is is great and emotional everyone gets involved it's like a final goodbye it just works in football it seems like the football thing to do. Silence just don't work you will always get a few drunks or someone looking to be an ass they are often ruined by someone.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Contraversial to the end, I'm afraid, I would say enough has been done already, ie matches Sunday and last night, tributes everywhere.......leave it there and let the family get on with their grieving .

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Why not do both? A minutes silence then a minutes applause.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
silence and then applause

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Crowds applauding is an everyday thing. There is something profoundly moving about a large group of people being still and silent.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Silence. Every time. I think the one and only time we had one at Withdean was when Alan Ball died. I opted out of that one. Just had no connection, emotional or otherwise, with the bloke. Wouldn't have opted out of a minute's silence.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Silence. Every time. I think the one and only time we had one at Withdean was when Alan Ball died. I opted out of that one. Just had no connection, emotional or otherwise, with the bloke. Wouldn't have opted out of a minute's silence.

That brings up another aspect... what if the person is controversial, or divisive? A minutes silence forces people to join in, or face condemnation for disrespect. Applause allows you to respectfully opt out.

The Notorious BHA

Jan 29, 2011
Speed was a true legend, so the applause was an appropriate gesture to celebrate as well as thank him for everything he did for the world of football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here