A minutes applause for the worlds greatest player !

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My point wasn't that we had a minutes silence for Tom Finney, it was the use of language used to describe him. How was Ken Bigley described ? War hero or considered by many as the worlds best civil engineer that profited privately from the war with Iraq ?

Unfortunately I can't remember how Ken Bigley was described, as I was too busy looking around thinking "why on earth are we having a minute's silence for this bloke?" :)

I take your point about flowering things up, but you know, it's just the way it was expressed. Doesn't really seem worth giving too much thought to, that's all I'm saying.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The one that sticks in my craw was the ridiculous minute's applause for Muamba - made all the more ridiculous by seeing the soldier who led out the teams for that game (he's a Brighton fan who lost his legs and was lucky to be alive after serving his country) applauding Muamba on not dying from a heart attack.

And why a minute's applause for Finney? I can't be the only one who thinks silence is far more dignified and more likely to make those observing it actually think about who and what Tom Finney was? Anyway, that's what I did - Never bothered to clap Muamba and observed a minute's silence for Tom Finney.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
To be fair I just posted my thoughts on the subject to get a bit of debate, I'm not angry about it. The muamba minutes applause was awful and at the same time as the soldier being on the pitch did actually piss me off. I've never given a minutes applause for somebody who is still alive it's ridiculous.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Personally, I have no interest in yet another kid that's been murdered, yet another soldier that's been killed, or some footballer that had already started to recover from a heart attack. I did however feel something for Mandela.
You can't all clap/ or have thoughts for everyone you don't know, but that's why we're all different isn't it? It's only 30 seconds or a minute.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The one that sticks in my craw was the ridiculous minute's applause for Muamba - made all the more ridiculous by seeing the soldier who led out the teams for that game (he's a Brighton fan who lost his legs and was lucky to be alive after serving his country) applauding Muamba on not dying from a heart attack.

And why a minute's applause for Finney? I can't be the only one who thinks silence is far more dignified and more likely to make those observing it actually think about who and what Tom Finney was? Anyway, that's what I did - Never bothered to clap Muamba and observed a minute's silence for Tom Finney.

Got to say I agree with this. Finney was one of those ones who merited a dignified and thoughtful silence. Applause perhaps more relevant for those of less significance, or on those occasions where there's a concern somebody trying to be controversial might spoil a silence (sad to give in to them, but there you go).

Muamba- yep, that was weird. "Congratulations on being alive, son"- I mean I wish the bloke well and I'm happy that he didn't end up breathing his last on the pitch at White Hart Lane, but you know, applauding that felt a bit strange.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports