Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A minimum of four minutes added time

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Their goalie went to take a goal kick early in the second half. Initially he kicked the ball to the left of the box. He then went over and picked up the ball and placed it in the centre of the box. Finally he again picked up the ball and threw it over to the right and took the goal kick. What are the laws of the game regarding a keeper handling the ball after it has been placed for a kick?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
It was six minutes because of the substitions that took place just after the 4 minutes was announced... and a veeeeerrrrrryyyyyyy sloooooow walk from Knocky!!

And to be fair to the ref, he was on their case for timewasting all through the 2nd half... several times he had a word with their keeper.... so it was only fair that he did the same to us.
Knocky wasn't as slow getting off as their players when they were subbed. Loved how they complained at Knocky for doing similar, once they were 1-0 down. Fools.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It was six minutes because of the substitions that took place just after the 4 minutes was announced... and a veeeeerrrrrryyyyyyy sloooooow walk from Knocky!!

And to be fair to the ref, he was on their case for timewasting all through the 2nd half... several times he had a word with their keeper.... so it was only fair that he did the same to us.

He should have booked him.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He could have done... but he clearly seemed to be one of thise refs who prides himself on not booking players... and enjoys using the 'look at me I am playing advantage' gesture as well :)

He was quite, shall we say, dramatic with his "play on" arms. Good to see though. Although I feel 'Uuuuuudersfield were slightly miffed by his decision not to play advantage when they clearly had one.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Also, at least twice I saw Huddersfield players on the floor, writhing around in apparent agony while play was going on, then look up see that they had the ball, miraculously feel OK again and go to get up, then in seeing Brighton gain back possession be overcome by a second wave of extreme agony.

Seriously they were the most cynical non-football side I have seen at the Amex since Reading played here a few years ago under Adkins.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seems to me time-wasting is the biggest issue overlooked in the overhaul of laws and interpretations this summer. Hopefully, next year's directive will be to dish out early yellow cards to teams that try this. It short changes fans. That said, the clamp down on dissent has had a positive effect in keeping game's moving I think.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
He was quite, shall we say, dramatic with his "play on" arms. Good to see though. Although I feel 'Uuuuuudersfield were slightly miffed by his decision not to play advantage when they clearly had one.

You can't win on this.

I reffed a game on Sunday and there was a high kick from one of our players that caught one if theirs. I shouted play on as the loose ball had been picked up by their striker who went on to score. This was despite their coach standing on the sideline questioning why I didn't give the free kick as he hadn't seen his striker through on goal.

In hindsight a more elaborate advantage shout or signal may have prevented his confusion

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You can't win on this.

I reffed a game on Sunday and there was a high kick from one of our players that caught one if theirs. I shouted play on as the loose ball had been picked up by their striker who went on to score. This was despite their coach standing on the sideline questioning why I didn't give the free kick as he hadn't seen his striker through on goal.

In hindsight a more elaborate advantage shout or signal may have prevented his confusion

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well for a start Casper was the MASTER at timwasting goalkeeping.

Also I recall when FFS used to stand by the corner flag knowing he would be subbed when we romped league one and walk very slowly to the dugouts. All part of the gamesmanship. Whats good for the goose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Also I recall when FFS used to stand by the corner flag knowing he would be subbed when we romped league one and walk very slowly to the dugouts. All part of the gamesmanship. Whats good for the goose.

Blimey that was a long time coming, we hardly went into overdrive after the goal.

Mucking about with who's going to take the throw ins and corners, Stockdale copying their 'keeper.
All that before Knockaert breaking into a jog coming off, that was actually slower than his walking pace.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I LOVE this stuff. When it's our lads doing it it's great, when it's the opposition they are cheats ��

My favourite one is getting as far away as possible from the touch line when about to be subbed (Murray as above), pretending to mis-control the ball so it runs onto the pitch, walking to pick it up, getting a towel for the ball, etc! (Zamora/Watson did LOADS of this at Withers)

But the absolute pinnacle of time wasting flair is walking over to shake the referee's hand before going off. Bonus points if you're booked for doing it.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I LOVE this stuff. When it's our lads doing it it's great, when it's the opposition they are cheats ��

My favourite one is getting as far away as possible from the touch line when about to be subbed (Murray as above), pretending to mis-control the ball so it runs onto the pitch, walking to pick it up, getting a towel for the ball, etc! (Zamora/Watson did LOADS of this at Withers)

But the absolute pinnacle of time wasting flair is walking over to shake the referee's hand before going off. Bonus points if you're booked for doing it.

For what its worth I think time-wasting is detestable whichever side is doing it. The thing about it is though is that it serves a purpose. That purpose is best served at say 85 minutes. Not 15.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Their goalie went to take a goal kick early in the second half. Initially he kicked the ball to the left of the box. He then went over and picked up the ball and placed it in the centre of the box. Finally he again picked up the ball and threw it over to the right and took the goal kick. What are the laws of the game regarding a keeper handling the ball after it has been placed for a kick?

The ball isn't in play until it leaves the penalty area, so he can place it where he wants.

He is, of course, risking a yellow card for time-wasting if he pisses about too much.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

'Timewasting' as in taking forever to get the ball back into play or 'timewasting' as in 'the ball's in play, come and get it, big boy...'

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Seems to me time-wasting is the biggest issue overlooked in the overhaul of laws and interpretations this summer. Hopefully, next year's directive will be to dish out early yellow cards to teams that try this. It short changes fans.

Surely this is really easy to deal with: play for, say, 30 mins per half, but only count when the ball is actually in-play. Clock stops when ball goes out of play, when ref blows for free-kick, for substitution, etc, etc.

Result: no incentive for time-wasting, no-one is short-changed.

And it can be done at all levels of the game, as long as there's a ref with a stopwatch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here