Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] A MASSIVE band is reforming....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Genesis! How underwhelming is that!

At least there are still some old timers like Metallica and Iron Maiden who are still relevant and making new music. And they are all late 50's /early 60's and still touring regularly

But Genesis made good music, particularly in the Gabriel era!

#itsallamatteroftaste

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Christ, as if we don't have enough problems in the world at the moment!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well IMO they did between 1971 and 1976, after Gabriel left I lost interest.

This thread is starting to sound like a 6th Form Common Room in the late 1970's! :clap:

Jebus late 70s, you should have lost the argument....

Nearly every dad in the uk liked Genesis, the point is music should push the boundaries, so much good music about then Punk, Ska, Garage rock, the birth of Electronic music.....

Genesis to me were Pah.... my dad likes that shit, he used to have bollox and like the Stones, Holly and Yardbirds, now he was listening to this safe boring music.....

Was my attitude then......

And still is....

:D

I understand millions of people like it, and it sold well, so did the beatles I get it, but millions of people can be wrong....

look at religion, look at Trump/Brexit voters, I could go on.....

Don't make em right do it....

:angel:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Nearly every dad in the uk liked Genesis, the point is music should push the boundaries, so much good music about then Punk, Ska, Garage rock, the birth of Electronic music.....

Genesis to me were Pah.... my dad likes that shit, he used to have bollox and like the Stones, Holly and Yardbirds, now he was listening to this safe boring music.....

And still is....

I understand millions of people like it, and it sold well, so did the beatles I get it, but millions of people can be wrong....

Interestingly my mum was a big Cliff Richard fan, so listening to Genesis seemed edgy in comparison. Especially the song "Mama". :lol:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

And still is....

Why exactly should we all agree with you that music should push the boundaries?

What is wrong with just liking something?

I would be interested to know what you like.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

It's the classic thing... once a band becomes popular or mainstream then people turn the nose up and say they are shit or have lost there edge.

Im no huge fan of Genesis, they wrote some classics amongst some shit.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Music should push the boundaries constantly change, otherwise it all sounds the same in my opinion. Yes my opinion, this does not make me right or wrong because it is subjective.
What is popular today, might not be tomorrow. Genesis are such, they were pleasant, no offensive and easy listening, nothing that pushed boundaries, they did nothing that had not been done before, to me they were bland.
As I have said it is my opinion, many people hate the music I like, I don't care or get precious about it, because I can see it also has a narrow framework and ultimately has had it's day, even the new bands find it hard to put a new spin on it, some can write a song that makes you think oh wow that is damn good, but ultimately they flatter to deceive and sound the same.

I listen to a wide variety of styles of music, from early country, hillbilly, blues, rockabilly, beat music, surf and american garage punk from the 60s through to Ska, Punk, Indie, grunge and of course Psychobilly anything that pushes the boundaries, I feel is worth a listen.

Some bands are put on a pedestal and classed as trend setters or ground breakers when, if you listen to early music you know the facts they were not, the most famous such band were the beatles, the first manufactured pop boy band, they sold out so quickly, even their later experimental shite was stolen ideas from other trend setters they used to hang around and smoke pot with in London....

:fishing:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Music should push the boundaries constantly change, otherwise it all sounds the same in my opinion. Yes my opinion, this does not make me right or wrong because it is subjective.
What is popular today, might not be tomorrow. Genesis are such, they were pleasant, no offensive and easy listening, nothing that pushed boundaries, they did nothing that had not been done before, to me they were bland.
As I have said it is my opinion, many people hate the music I like, I don't care or get precious about it, because I can see it also has a narrow framework and ultimately has had it's day, even the new bands find it hard to put a new spin on it, some can write a song that makes you think oh wow that is damn good, but ultimately they flatter to deceive and sound the same.

I listen to a wide variety of styles of music, from early country, hillbilly, blues, rockabilly, beat music, surf and american garage punk from the 60s through to Ska, Punk, Indie, grunge and of course Psychobilly anything that pushes the boundaries, I feel is worth a listen.

Some bands are put on a pedestal and classed as trend setters or ground breakers when, if you listen to early music you know the facts they were not, the most famous such band were the beatles, the first manufactured pop boy band, they sold out so quickly, even their later experimental shite was stolen ideas from other trend setters they used to hang around and smoke pot with in London....

:fishing:

You nearly got me. :)

But ultimately .......
Failed.
Good effort though.
(Very good spelling too)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I guess if you don’t get Prog Rock I am probably wasting my time though :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G501Ii0X0NE

Yep you were.... :D

Any band from leafy Godalming can hardly be groundbreaking..... and you can hear it in the twinkle sprinkle bollox on that song....

That was god awful drivel, that reminded me of fairies and pixie bollox the beatles did, ground breaking my arse....

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Pray tell who else?

Anyways, it’s apparently been hinted at with an “... and then there were three ...” picture on their social media. Hackett is already touring this year anyway. No idea what Gabriel’s up to.

Not sure why they think it’s a good idea, though I’m sure I’ll try to get tickets.....

Ah; sorry, was referring to the early lineup dudes, Anthony Phillips (guitarist) and other early members from the revelation era.

I have to say, as it is, it’s hardly headline news... is it? Kind of; and there were meh.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep you were.... :D

Any band from leafy Godalming can hardly be groundbreaking..... and you can hear it in the twinkle sprinkle bollox on that song....

That was god awful drivel, that reminded me of fairies and pixie bollox the beatles did, ground breaking my arse....

Oh well, your loss, you better get back to the early country hillbilly music :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dte2pZGjVc

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree with your first sentence, but you've got Genesis completely wrong. Yes, they were pleasant, no offensive and easy listening in their later years. But I can assure you when I first discovered Genesis in 1971 they weren't just pushing boundaries, they were tearing them down. Albums like Nursery Crymes, Trespass and Foxtrot were truly creative and ground-breaking. High up on the 'Wow factor' scale!
Their credibility as a serious band didn't survive the departures of Gabriel and Hackett - they got away with it for an album or two because Collins' voice sounds pretty similar to Gabriel's - but pretty quickly turned to MOR mediocrity. Commercially successful, yes, but bland, most definitely!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here