Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] A MASSIVE band is reforming....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
TIckets changing hands for over £1,000 for a pair on exchange sites.

:ohmy:

So glad I got ours literally as they went on sale.

:clap:

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
The demand for tickets seems to dismiss the theory that this is a band that nobody is interested in.

The NSC demographic for music fans is very much focused on first incarnation Genesis, as this thread has proved. The average Joe on the street is going to be more hungry for stadium rock Genesis. I am sure there are plenty of other bands that fit the same remit - Simple Minds for one.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
£182 to watch 3 geriatrics and Phil collins’s son on drums your mad .....
I have liked Genesis since the late seventies but would not pay that unless Gabriel and Hackett were
Also on stage..
Anyway enjoy the night..

I agree - it is bonkers. I wouldn't have done it had it not been that two of my best friends wanted to go and were keen for me to join them. I saw Hackett twice last year - with Nad Sylvan on vocals who is just fantastic. Hackett's 'Seconds Out' gigs this autumn will - I'm sure - be loads better than Collins/Rutherford/Banks ... so this is absolutely a one off for me!!

I balanced it up by going to Brighton Dome box office later this morning and buying a ticket for Toots and the Maytals ... £32 and no silly fees. And last week £45 for Weller!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
When I bought my tickets for Knebworth in 1992 I cut out a coupon from the paper and sent off a postal order. For some reason that seems easier and fairer. Genuine fans are being ripped off by online ticket touts like viagogo hoovering up all the tickets and then selling them at multiple times the face value (excuse the pun). It should be illegal. It's *ucking greedy.

Don't know if you can remember ... but they were supposed to be doing both the Saturday and Sunday nights at Knebworth. Me and my mate had tickets for the Saturday. Went up on his motorbike (that was an experience I've never repeated) ... only to find that they had merged the two nights into just the one ... which was the Sunday!! We had to find somewhere to stay overnight rather than go back home and go back up on the Sunday!

And yes, totally agree with you re the likes of Viagogo ... :censored:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The NSC demographic for music fans is very much focused on first incarnation Genesis, as this thread has proved. The average Joe on the street is going to be more hungry for stadium rock Genesis. I am sure there are plenty of other bands that fit the same remit - Simple Minds for one.

I'm sure your correct

I honestly do not have an issue with people preferring early incarnation or the later incarnation of Genesis. I made the comment because of the comments that insinuated that Genesis were not a big band or didn't have a strong following. But then I guess it is because Genesis were never media darlings or had the kudos of say Queen, The Who, or Led Zeppelin etc. so I can understand where this misconception has come from. They estimated that over half a million people watched the concert in 2007 at the last show in Rome and this time despite the band members practically having one foot in the grave they still want to see them.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Don't know if you can remember ... but they were supposed to be doing both the Saturday and Sunday nights at Knebworth. Me and my mate had tickets for the Saturday. Went up on his motorbike (that was an experience I've never repeated) ... only to find that they had merged the two nights into just the one ... which was the Sunday!! We had to find somewhere to stay overnight rather than go back home and go back up on the Sunday!

And yes, totally agree with you re the likes of Viagogo ... :censored:

That is strange I must have applied for the Saturday ticket as well because I kept all the details of that concert. You can see on the paper clipping it says Sunday is sold out and you can get Saturday, but also you can see that the ticket I have says the Sunday.

So maybe they knew they were merging the dates together before they sent mine. I don't think I noticed that at the time. I was so blooming pleased to get a ticket.

There is also the car park ticket and the ticket from the same concert at the Brighton Centre.

tickets.JPG

Last edited:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
That is strange I must have applied for the Saturday ticket as well because I kept all the details of that concert. You can see on the paper clipping it says Sunday is sold out and you can get Saturday, but also you can see that the ticket I have says the Sunday.

So maybe they knew they were merging the dates together before they sent mine. I don't think I noticed that at the time. I was so blooming pleased to get a ticket.

There is also the car park ticket and the ticket from the same concert at the Brighton Centre.

View attachment 120753

Oh wow ... fantastic seeing those. When we turned up on the Saturday I remember someone telling us that they'd announced the change on Radio One!! "We don't listen to Radio One" we said!! :lolol:

Getting out of the car park was 'interesting'! One advantage of being on my mate's motorbike - we got out in about an hour or so. I remember getting home and hearing on the news that some people were still trying to get out of the car park!! Was a fantastic gig and experience ... loved seeing Lisa Stansfield too!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I seem to be very much in the minority in really loving Lamb Lies Down. I get that it's beyond pretentious in it's "concept", but there's some killer tracks on there.
Not entirely alone though! - I like that album too, although it is seriously weird; taking quirkiness a step too far maybe, and definitely the last stand of the 'old' Genesis - and certainly one that I think the fans of I Can't Dance, and And Then There Were Three, for example, mostly would not appreciate too much.

Can't understand the contention of a few that there weren't too very different Genesis bands - one with Gabriel and Hackett, and one without. They might sound the same, but ............ it was the same as if the Beatles had reformed in the 80s with Julian Lennon singing in his dad's place, with songs written by Stock, Aitken and Waterman; they might have sounded the same, but .............................

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here