Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A lot of talk about VAR but none about the goal kick rule

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Personally I feel "the goal kick must leave the penalty area before it is in play" was a unnecessary and niggling law of the game.

I agree too, and also think that the change will have (and is having) repercussions for how the game is played. But, note, you've missed out the word 'change' in your response, and I suspect it's this that upsets some more than "unnecessary and niggling laws".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Took more than a hundred years for anyone to bother about it. :shrug:

Took about 60 years of professional football before you could substitute injured players as well.

The "it's been this way for a long time" argument, in general, is pretty weak (almost) regardless of subject.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Took about 60 years of professional football before you could substitute injured players as well.

The "it's been this way for a long time" argument, in general, is pretty weak (almost) regardless of subject.

In general, yes. In specific cases, no. Exactly the same can be said for change for change sake; generally a poor argument, but pertinent in this case.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think that may actually have happened in the recent Liverpool vs Saints game. Should have been a penalty to Saints, ref waved played on, Liverpool went up the other end and scored in seconds. I imagine as it was Kevin Friend reffing the game and it was the mighty Liverpool they quickly put VAR back in it’s box and whistled hoping it wouldn’t cause too big a furore. I have a vague memory of it being Hoops on VAR too?

Interesting. I've missed these games so hadn't noticed. It does seem the worse scenario for VAR though.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
In general, yes. In specific cases, no. Exactly the same can be said for change for change sake; generally a poor argument, but pertinent in this case.

More teams were taking short goal kicks, teams were begining to take advantage of this by stepping into the box to collect the ball and thus the goal kick being retaken. It would have meant the game slowing down more and more. The law has simply moved with modern times. Its certainly not change for change sake.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
More teams were taking short goal kicks, teams were begining to take advantage of this by stepping into the box to collect the ball and thus the goal kick being retaken.

So, they broke the regulations which they all knew perfectly well and didn't get away with it. Wow, couldn't have that - something had to be changed! :facepalm:

Free kick to the opposition would have been a better change - in fact, I thought that was what happened if the ball was played a second time before leaving the penalty area..

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
So, they broke the regulations which they all knew perfectly well and didn't get away with it. Wow, couldn't have that - something had to be changed! :facepalm:

Free kick to the opposition would have been a better change - in fact, I thought that was what happened if the ball was played a second time before leaving the penalty area..

Sorry, you are changing things for changes sake. Dick.

The rule was being expoited, they made a positive change to increase the flow of the game, allows teams to still high press and close down players inside their own box from a free kick which has created more goals this season, it also allows teams in posession to build from the back quick instead of lumping it from the back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here