Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] A lively place to eat with decent food in Brighton or Hove

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This years restaurant thread has taken a different turn this year so thought I'd ask this in a separate thread.

Mrs WS wants to take her best friend out to dinner as her friend has recently been through the mill. Defying her years she wants to go to a 'lively' place with music, cocktails, decent food and maybe even dancing. The Ivy has been a consideration but the reviews are awful - especially around the food. So, any recommendations that could tick all, or at least most, the boxes ? I'm not much help as Mrs WS and I tend to go to more sedate places in our dotage.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Modelo Lounge in Hove is rather nice. Friendly staff, lively but not hectic, good food, drink choice etc.
Won’t worry the bank manager but classy enough for the ladies 👍

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Wild Flor nearby also has very good food & cocktails . I’ve found if you stick to central Hove you tend to get less youngsters in the restaurants more 30 plus somethings so it’s a calm more pleasant experience.

Whilst there are some good restaurants in central Brighton, it’s just too leery for me with all the young chavs .

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Latino America in church rd hove is always lively and you might see some bha players !

Etch further along the road is lovely but expensive
Latino America might fit the bill. Etch though can hardly be described as lively - excellent though it is !

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Wild Flor nearby also has very good food & cocktails . I’ve found if you stick to central Hove you tend to get less youngsters in the restaurants more 30 plus somethings so it’s a calm more pleasant experience.

Whilst there are some good restaurants in central Brighton, it’s just too leery for me with all the young chavs .

I'm not entirely sure you've read the brief correctly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can’t help with the dancing aspect, I’m afraid. It’s been many a year since I’ve done anything near dancing. Unless you count the palava of doing up my own shoe-laces these days 😂

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This years restaurant thread has taken a different turn this year so thought I'd ask this in a separate thread.

Mrs WS wants to take her best friend out to dinner as her friend has recently been through the mill. Defying her years she wants to go to a 'lively' place with music, cocktails, decent food and maybe even dancing. The Ivy has been a consideration but the reviews are awful - especially around the food. So, any recommendations that could tick all, or at least most, the boxes ? I'm not much help as Mrs WS and I tend to go to more sedate places in our dotage.
My daughter took us all to https://shelterhall.co.uk/ about 9 months ago before she buggered off to Australia and it was alright and a bit different, but I have to agree with a previous poster and AFAIK, there is no 21st century equivalent to Cafe de Paris/Le Parisienne although I would question the 'great food'. I remember it as being 'edible' and great entertainment :wink:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Can’t help with the dancing aspect, I’m afraid. It’s been many a year since I’ve done anything near dancing. Unless you count the palava of doing up my own shoe-laces these days 😂
For some bizarre reason I read that as Pavlova - I do love a good Pavlova though !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Latino America in church rd hove is always lively and you might see some bha players !

Etch further along the road is lovely but expensive
Etch is very good (or was when I went a few years back), but not lively.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've just told Mrs Wz about your post. She said, 'take them up to town, see that Abba thing, and get a bag of chips on the way home'.

As I've eventually and painfully learnt over 35+ years, Mrs Wz is always right :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A couple of cocktail fueled middle-aged women on a night out will not be put off by youngsters…far from it.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Persia in Church Road, always lively…

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Last time I went to Casa Don Carlos there was live music and dancing. Top Tapas too. Not sure if they do cocktails but it is a great night out.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Ed's Easy Diner in Churchill Square for the ultimate haute cuisine. The ladies would surely fall in love with such imaginative and creative fare? As an added bonus, you can't get any livelier than Ed's and if they want atmosphere, well Ed's is the benchmark with its glitzy 1950's Americana theme! I can't recall whether alcohol is available, but if not consider smuggling in a hip flask or two filled with a delightful Australian sparkling shiraz to complement your chosen culinary masterpieces.

1676957393072.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here