Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] A Little Taste Of Sweden . . . In Horsham.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well, I don't like fish, not a massive fan of scrambled eggs (which I also believe is not that common as a breakfast thing here) and I'm definitely not a fan of ABBA... do they play ABBA every day? Seems a bit silly, we have some other internationally recognized bands/artists as well.

Generally speaking, I like niche cafés/restaurants though so it sounds quite nice.

I suppose if you ever did go there, you could always ask for pizza, a line and a private booth to talk bollox for half hour :thumbsup::wink:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was in the same place a while back. A couple in the corner were messing around with what looked like
chess pieces, but weren't. They were also raising one hand alternately at intervals. Fascinated, I strode up to
them and asked: "WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE GAME?"

Disclaimer: At no point have I ever been to this cafe. I used it for jocular effect only.

I’ve seen that game played as well…. I asked one of the players who got their hands on the huge pot of money that was building up and he said ……’The Winner takes it all’

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did it taste like chicken? . . . l say that about anything that l have never tried before.

A few years ago did a business trip to Stockholm with three others. Found a decent restaurant with craft beers and local food afterwards and the reindeer was the most expensive thing on the menu. Sales Director says "none of you are to take the piss with expenses" at which point all three of the rest of us ordered the reindeer.

Incredibly, it tastes like venison. Who'd have thunk it?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A few years ago did a business trip to Stockholm with three others. Found a decent restaurant with craft beers and local food afterwards and the reindeer was the most expensive thing on the menu. Sales Director says "none of you are to take the piss with expenses" at which point all three of the rest of us ordered the reindeer.

Incredibly, it tastes like venison. Who'd have thunk it?

Does venison taste like chicken? :wink:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
If you like that then try Carmela Deli just off the Carfax for an equally excellent Italian experience. Downside is just as expensive as Johansson's.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you like that then try Carmela Deli just off the Carfax for an equally excellent Italian experience. Downside is just as expensive as Johansson's.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I'm just about done with Italian eateries in Horsham l'm afraid, there are just so many of them. To the extent that l fully expect the town to apply to become part of Lombardy soon.

Probably a wider choice of different pizzas on offer that you can get in all of Napoli.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Did it taste like chicken? . . . l say that about anything that l have never tried before.

No, as Guinness Boy says it tastes like venison. Dark and gamey, but it can be dry. You need to make sure it is cooked in fat. Cloudberries were interesting; my host proudly told me that they were from the Arctic Circle and an expensive luxury. I didn't really like them, but out of politeness pretended that I did, of course.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
:lolol:

No. No it doesn't.

I tried crocodile
Crocodile does though. We'd occasionally order it in the Walkabout down West St so we could ask the waiter to make it snappy.

Very droll. :)

I tried crocodile at the Carnivore Restaurant in Nairobi many years ago, that indeed could well have been chicken from it's taste, as could ostrich actually.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No, as Guinness Boy says it tastes like venison. Dark and gamey, but it can be dry. You need to make sure it is cooked in fat. Cloudberries were interesting; my host proudly told me that they were from the Arctic Circle and an expensive luxury. I didn't really like them, but out of politeness pretended that I did, of course.

No l know it doesn't taste anything like chicken, it was just me trying to be funny, (and failing). Venison as you say is very dry, too dry for my liking unfortunately, l just like a bit more fat.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Johansson's Cafe.

Just back from an early morning shopping trip to Horsham. Before l braved Waitrose, and looking for somewhere to eat breakfast, l stumbled on the above establishment.

Hidden away from the main shopping areas at one end of the Bishopric, this little Swedish cafe was an unexpected delight. Arriving bang on 10am, just as the doors opened, (there was even a small queue forming), l was shown to a table and handed a menu.

I opted for the Swedish Breakfast, which basically was freshly scrambled eggs on rye bread, with a liberal covering of smoked salmon across the top, oh and dill, lots and lots of dill. Other Swedish staples were available too, admittedly there was no sign of a smorgasbord or gravadlax, but meatballs were certainly on the menu.

The staff were very efficient, three young Swedish girls all led by the very friendly Ms.Johansson, and the bill for my breakfast plus two cups of americano came to the grand total of £15. Absurd value for money l thought.

Oh and yes . . . Abba were playing softly in the background, as you might expect.

What do you think Swansman?

£15 for eggs on toast? Bugger that.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
That does sound good but the price is a reminder of why I don't live in the UK. Yesterday I went out for lunch and between the 2 of us we had 6 beers, 2 little plates of black rice with squid, a slice grilled marlin, a few bits of fried cod, a prawn fritter and a bit of pork cheek. 17 euros, which I guess is about £15.

Oh and we went out for breakfast too. Toasted baguette with Serrano ham and tomato X 2, a coffee, an orange juice - 6 euros.

That part of Spain you live in is very good value in restaurants, very cheap property as well even by a Spanish standards .

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That part of Spain you live in is very good value in restaurants, very cheap property as well even by a Spanish standards .

Yeah. Cost of living is very low here by Western European standards. Certain consumer goods are pricier than in the UK and, of course, salaries are lower. Overall, life here is much more affordable here though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He was about 100m from 'Spoons and could have had a full English and a pint of Stella and still got change out of a tenner!

I wouldn't be wanting a pint of anything with breakfast, thank you very much, even though Spoons serve an excellent selection of good real ale. A pint of Stella though, anytime, day or night? - FFS, don't be so riciculous!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I wouldn't be wanting a pint of anything with breakfast, thank you very much, even though Spoons serve an excellent selection of good real ale. A pint of Stella though, anytime, day or night? - FFS, don't be so riciculous!

Yes, you are right, he should have gone for the gullacalf, gullacow or gullabull instead...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here