Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A little Albion story (about Dean Wilkins)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
That's a great story. Always liked Dean Wilkins, and that's just a nice story to hear.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Remember him coming over to the away support (250?) at chesterfield after we'd nicked a rare win. We were going mental at final whistle and as he and the players walked off he beckoned to us to be quiet then shouted what brilliant fans we were and thanked us. What a gent!

Remember that too..a special moment

I had a great encounter with Dean too.

It was in the early 90s when he was playing for us. I was walking along New Town Road on the stretch between Hove Station and Fonthill Road and Dean was jogging towards me, very obviously on part of own his training routine.

As he approached me, I said "All right Dean".
In reply he said to me (and I'll never forget this):

He said "All right" and he jogged on without even breaking sweat.

It was a great moment and I think it tells us all a lot about the man.

D

Deleted member 2719

Great story.

I always admired his focus and work ethic and always felt he would make a great manager, Dick Knight took care of that.

I could not believe the way Wilkins was treated after his years of service.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I had a great encounter with Dean too.

It was in the early 90s when he was playing for us. I was walking along New Town Road on the stretch between Hove Station and Fonthill Road and Dean was jogging towards me, very obviously on part of own his training routine.

As he approached me, I said "All right Dean".
In reply he said to me (and I'll never forget this):

He said "All right" and he jogged on without even breaking sweat.

It was a great moment and I think it tells us all a lot about the man.

Wonderful story and just goes to show not all footballers are out of touch with the fans. I can't see many modern day footballers being that friendly. Just goes to show what a Great club we have.

JBD

Jul 12, 2009
Zone Q
Remember him giving me a filthy look one Sunday morning, jogged passed me and I said to my wife that's Ray Wilkins.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My Dad, Brother and I would often travel Back from Gillingham with some of the players which were coming back our way, one week we had to split up, So me, my brother, ross johnson, stuart storer are all in the car on the way home, my Dad in another. Anyway I was around 11 my brother 9 and trying to fit in around men we start mentioning how we like watching eurotrash because of the big boobs. The players thought it was hillarious and told pur Dad once we got into Brighton.

However my Dad had no idea what they were talking about or what eurotrash was, we got a solid bollocking from him but also got told never to watch it again.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Spent many a night at Dean's or Alan's houses as my then girlfriend, future wife, was their baby sitter lovely chaps. Last met Dean at Sarah Watts funeral he is a really nice person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here