Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A killer stat from a Toon point of view.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Though they've gone quiet about their hatred for their ownership. A bit like Man U fans

Not the ones I know ! The move to the stadium basically means GSB can never redeem themselves. Even funnier that they are desperately hanging on for literally any chancer to buy them

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle fans are like West Ham fans. Entitled fans that magically think they should be doing better than they are, despite having very little (or none) previous success. Both clubs think they deserve some billionaire foreign anonymous owner to bankroll them to potential success. Nobs

Although there is a bit of truth about that with every big club, I don't think that's a fair representation of their disgruntlement in this case. Put yourself in their situation. If Mike Ashley was our chairman, Steve Bruce was our manager, and our transfer policy was generally to sign older players on unsustainable wages, would you be happy? I wouldn't be, whatever our league position.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Although there is a bit of truth about that with every big club, I don't think that's a fair representation of their disgruntlement in this case. Put yourself in their situation. If Mike Ashley was our chairman, Steve Bruce was our manager, and our transfer policy was generally to sign older players on unsustainable wages, would you be happy? I wouldn't be, whatever our league position.

But as pointed out - they've spent a bit more than us, they've finished above us every season. So what more do they want?

For me it goes back to unrealistic expectations about having a billionaire who is willing to throw huge amounts of money at the club.

Apart from perceived underinvestment personally by Mike Ashley and some very questionable sponsorship deals, I don't see to much that Mike Ashley has done wrong - except throw more of his own money into the club

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
But as pointed out - they've spent a bit more than us, they've finished above us every season. So what more do they want?

For me it goes back to unrealistic expectations about having a billionaire who is willing to throw huge amounts of money at the club.

Apart from perceived underinvestment personally by Mike Ashley and some very questionable sponsorship deals, I don't see to much that Mike Ashley has done wrong - except throw more of his own money into the club

My objection to him being involved in any club I supported wouldn't be about levels of investment, but more to do with worry about his intentions and his previous business practices: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...hley-to-kim-jong-un-was-fair-ipso-rules-press.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would say that it’s not quite fair/appropriate to compare Brighton and Newcastle’s spending over the last 5 years, as I would argue they came up with a far stronger squad than ours, with much more Prem experience.

We needed to spend more than them to catch up to their standard, arguably.

But also, I don’t fully buy that Newcastle is a huge club overall anymore - I think that’s slightly outdated thinking. Strong local attendance means a lot less nowadays compared to global reach. Globally, Newcastle are a pretty insignificant club compared to Man City or even a club like Leicester now, I would argue.

I agree with all of this, except to say whilst they are pretty insignificant compared to Man City/Leicester right now, they are absolutely a club with everything in place to rise to the top - providing a sugardaddy wanted to get involved.

It's like making a comparison between Schalke 04 and Bayer Leverkusen or RB Leipzig - one has an absolutely enormous fan base, the other two don't, but they do have recent success and owners who have pumped millions into the clubs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Steve Bruce showed clearly last season that he is tactically not Premier League level in 2021. The addition of Graeme Jones was very important to modernise them but we'll see how far it takes them - they are living on borrowed time.

In other areas he appears to be a decent coach, his players seem to be doing all they can for him. He is outdated but not nearly as poor as some thinks he is.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Mine too, but as they are actively campaigning for Saudi princes to achieve a takeover, do you think that's the concern of the majority of toon fans?

Fair point. Some fans seem to think that getting owners with PSG, Man City or Chelsea levels of wealth will mean eternal success, without consideration of long term sustainability, let alone morality.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Comparing transfer spend it one thing, but wage bill wise? Last I checked, Newcastle's is nearly double ours.

Also, would I rather watch Brighton win 20-odd games in Potter's style, or Newcastle win 20-odd games in Bruce's? No. Brainer.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Comparing transfer spend it one thing, but wage bill wise? Last I checked, Newcastle's is nearly double ours.

Also, would I rather watch Brighton win 20-odd games in Potter's style, or Newcastle win 20-odd games in Bruce's? No. Brainer.

Yes.

And salaries paid is a much better predictor of league table finish than transfer fees paid

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
And our Friday night entertainment on SkySports?

Newcastle v Leeds, with both sets of fans questioning their clubs recent transfer dealings and with the two clubs having a combined total of three points from eight games.

Please let it be 0-0.

:drink::whisky::drink::whisky:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with all of this, except to say whilst they are pretty insignificant compared to Man City/Leicester right now, they are absolutely a club with everything in place to rise to the top - providing a sugardaddy wanted to get involved.

But this is it innit - why hasn't a sugar daddy gotten involved by now, if they're such a sleeping giant?

I feel like their remote location and lack of trophies (in a long, long, long time) counts against them. They have an iconic stadium, and a very strong local fanbase. I'd suggest they don't have much else.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Very plain and very simple, who the **** wants to live in the North East? No one with more than a £1 in their pocket. Newcastle great night life crap aside it is the shithole of England. They ask someone to sign for them, the wag has a look and doesn't matter how many times they call her pet she ain't going. THE END

Nothing whatsoever wrong with the north east of England in my book, Newcastle itself is a fine city, and Northumberland, wow what an amazing county, sparesly populated, fine scenery and some great beaches.

Combine that with the friendly locals and low property prices, l would have no problem living there at all. The big problem is of course it's a million miles away from Sussex.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nothing whatsoever wrong with the north east of England in my book, Newcastle itself is a fine city, and Northumberland, wow what an amazing county, sparesly populated, fine scenery and some great beaches.

Combine that with the friendly locals and low property prices, l would have no problem living there at all. The big problem is of course it's a million miles away from Sussex.

None of that is going to sell it to a player and his WAG from a sunny Latin country is it though?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
None of that is going to sell it to a player and his WAG from a sunny Latin country is it though?

Maybe not, but l guess one can say much the same thing about many areas of this country. Britiain is hardly known for it's sunny climes after all. Lots of nightlife to be had for said WAGS in Toon though!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

For all north east clubs it’s the distance from London that matters.

Been spoken about for years. To get players to go up there they have to pay high wages. No surprise then Newcastle’s wage costs are so much higher than ours.

Had many holidays up in the area, love Durham but I’m not the one that needs to be convinced.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

But Cariña, forget about Seville and Florence, haven't you heard you can walk the dog on the beautiful windswept beaches of Northumberland?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
But Cariña, forget about Seville and Florence, haven't you heard you can walk the dog on the beautiful windswept beaches of Northumberland?

... and don't forget the magnificent Gateshead Millennium Bridge.

BigUnfoldedDrever-size_restricted.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here