Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A humble thanks.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Like many others on here I have to say I really like Charlton. Whenever I speak with one of their fans they are a decent bunch.

I was at the 4-3 game with my parents and afterwards my father decided to follow another car with an Albion scarf in the back. It seemed like a good move until we lost him and ended up in the dark driving aimlessly round country roads.:ffsparr:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Many thanks for all your kind words.

Football can be wonderful sometimes, and many Addicks of my generation still say (as I do) that the greatest game we ever saw was against Brighton.
I remember the huge phalanx of Brighton fans at what we used to call the uncovered end.
I know it helps that we won, but every football fan carries at least one memory of a magical occasion, old school at the old Valley, evening game under floodlights, two teams playing a great match with the relish of being alive in that moment. All out attack from both teams all game.
I wonder if anybody reading this was there and remembers it.

A classic of epic proportions this one. 2-0 up, 3-2 down and played in front of a healthy crowd too.

Tuesday 4th October 1977. Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (Tydeman 16, McAuley 31, Peacock 66, Powell 71) Brighton and Hove Albion 3 (1) (Ward 38 57 (pen), Winstanley 62)
The Valley. Att: 19,098.

Charlton: Wood, Penfold, Warman, Tydeman, Giles, Berry, Powell, Abrahams (Gritt 77), Flanagan, Peacock, McAuley.

Brighton: Steele, Tiler, Williams, Horton, Winstanley, Cattlin, Potts, Ward, Mellor (Fell 71), Piper, O'Sullivan.

Referee: M Taylor (Walmer, Kent)

Penalty: Awarded against Penfold for a foul on Ward. Horton's first effort was saved by Wood but a retake was ordered for the keeper moving before the ball was kicked. The second kick was struck wide but Wood was adjudged to have moved again. Finally Ward took responsibility and slammed the third attempt past Wood.

Highest crowd: With a full midweek programme, Charltons gate was the highest in the second division.
I believe that day, or the day before, your very own Peter Ward had just had his first call up for England.

You might also notice above the name of Steve Gritt. Much loved in these parts.

My Dad took us to that, we parked high up on a hill, by blocks of flats?, overlooking the ground. Then he hid the Don’t Follow Me, Follow The Albion sticker, as he always did at away games.

I couldn’t stand Hales and Flanaghan, but they also really hated each other.

We had a far superior team then, on the up, but it was an off night with shite defending.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here