Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A huge job with huge risks.......

Can't help but still feeling deflated this morning with the expectation that Potter will accept the Chelsea job. It is what it is for us and hope we can still progress on the whole but for Potter well, he has to win things and win things this season or at latest next season. Chelsea won't accept just a top 4 finish they will expect the champions league and Premier league title. This really could be a huge mistake for him. Suppose a 20 million pound compensation package should he fail helps!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really don’t care how he does at Chelsea.

We were on the crest of a massive wave and I can’t help feeling that we are about to get dumped off it.

If we’d had an OK or bad start to the season it would be be so much easier to make a transition.

I doubt there could be a worse time for GP to leave

The fans will be gutted but so will the players, of course they will, and there will be a falling away as they lose their focus imo

A part of me wants GP to really struggle at Chelsea, which I know is not the attitude I should have :shrug:

We really have been dumped in it and I feel for TB who has been let down imo. Our worst fears have been realised in what seems to be the blink of an eye.

Did not see this coming and still have hope that Potter turns Chelsea down, which he won’t of course.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

We were on the crest of a massive wave and I can’t help feeling that we are about to get dumped off it.

If we’d had an OK or bad start to the season it would be be so much easier to make a transition.

The fans will be gutted but so will the players, of course they will, and there will be a falling away as they lose their focus imo

A part of me wants GP to really struggle at Chelsea, which I know is not the attitude I should have :shrug:

We really have been dumped in it and I feel for TB who has been let down imo. Our worst fears have been realised in what seems to be the blink of an eye.

Did not see this coming and still have hope that Potter turns Chelsea down, which he won’t of course.

May I say wanting Potter to fail at Chelsea is EXACTLY the right attitude to have.

Firstly, why would you want Chelsea to do well ? Secondly the fans owe Potter NOTHING, just like he owes us nothing which is why he is jumping ship.

Most importantly it’s about people seeing how IF he fails that jumping ship isn’t always the right thing to do. And quite frankly all I care about is how Brighton perform over the next few years and how we recruit and retain players and staff.

As soon as Potter signs for Chelsea he is like every other manager in the PL in my eyes… there to be beaten.

Don't get me wrong, i hope all goes tits up if Potter goes and although thank him for what he's done for us I also hope that it comes back to bite him. Its probably wrong of me to think that but as you say my only concern is brighton and how we progress. I feel we've been totally kicked in the balls if he accepts. Suppose I want to say if it was Liverpool or City I would understand it a bit more but f in Chelsea!!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The reality is that he has gone and it was only ever likely to happen if Chelsea came calling. What I know for sure is that potters hone life is very stable and that is important to him. He also has huge personal ambition. Was he tempted by spurs? Yes. Was he flattered by Utd? Yes. Was he able to make those moves work for his family ? No.

When Chelsea are the only “top 6/4” team in a 50 mile radius of his home and they come calling the question is can he make that work for his family? The answer is yes.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The reality is that he has gone and it was only ever likely to happen if Chelsea came calling. What I know for sure is that potters hone life is very stable and that is important to him. He also has huge personal ambition. Was he tempted by spurs? Yes. Was he flattered by Utd? Yes. Was he able to make those moves work for his family ? No.

When Chelsea are the only “top 6/4” team in a 50 mile radius of his home and they come calling the question is can he make that work for his family? The answer is yes.

What an utter load of bollocks

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Is a big risk: I just can't imagine Chelsea (and their fans) taking the approach that arsenal have done and giving him time and leeway to create his own project. Chelsea's recent success has been built on instant success and a shitload of spending. I genuinely can't see how Potter would be attracted to that. On the other hand what do I know - seems like maybe he is or he's been promised something previous Chelsea mangers haven't been.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Is a big risk: I just can't imagine Chelsea (and their fans) taking the approach that arsenal have done and giving him time and leeway to create his own project. Chelsea's recent success has been built on instant success and a shitload of spending. I genuinely can't see how Potter would be attracted to that. On the other hand what do I know - seems like maybe he is or he's been promised something previous Chelsea mangers haven't been.

New ownership new culture within the club. Understand tuchel was sacked for more than is just being reported.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He’ll be working for a chairman who knows nothing about football yet wants to be heavily involved in what players are brought into the club. I can see Potter crashing and burning and I would love it if he fails due to the timing of his departure.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Potter is ambitious, he won’t think Brighton is his ceiling and as proven so far he has the ability.

He also knows football but I think he will take the risk and worst case it doesn’t work out - he’ll walk in to any of the other 16 premier league clubs probably.

If you don’t try you don’t know is probably what he’s thinking

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
He was going to go sometime, and now let's see what our Club's famous succession planning has up it's sleeve.

Whatever we think of Chelsea, at least he went to a top team and not Villa.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reports this morning that he has reached verbal agreement

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s not though. It’s not even an opinion. It’s what he’s always thought.

I said the same on other threads. Chelsea or England are jobs he could do without moving his family.

I also don't think the new owners will have a sacking culture at Chelsea. They clashed with Tuchel all the time. Jason Cundy who has great sources at Chelsea was saying that yesterday. It's clear that they want a more "Brighton like" culture. Even the owners and Tuchel disagreed about the Gilmour transfer.

Slightly disappointing that he's not repaying the faith and loyalty we showed him but these two jobs were the ones I always worried about. Of course, there could yet be a red flag that turns him off but if there is we'll lose him in December or January.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Potter basically had to decide if staying with the albion for the long haul, with then maybe a stint at the England job followed by whatever else after that, was his ideal career.

Clearly he felt he wanted a different career path and a move to a regular CL club was for him.

I'm disappointed, tbh. I sort of thought he was from a different mold.

Oh well, let's see who we get to replace him.

My guess : Bruno until after the World Cup, and then Martinez when he's finished with Belgium.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Potter hasn’t accepted the job yet?

He was given permission to speak to Chelsea (which is 100% the right thing to do from the clubs point of view)

The club will have made their views clear and I’m pretty certain he knows that the England job is his in waiting as and when that time comes (probably January)

Maybe I’m totally wrong here but I still believe he will remain our manager come the end of play today, I don’t think everything as cut and dried as the media make out.

Potter hasn’t accepted the job yet?

He was given permission to speak to Chelsea (which is 100% the right thing to do from the clubs point of view)

The club will have made their views clear and I’m pretty certain he knows that the England job is his in waiting as and when that time comes (probably January)

Maybe I’m totally wrong here but I still believe he will remain our manager come the end of play today, I don’t think everything as cut and dried as the media make out.

I hope your right and any chink of light that he won't go being that it wasn't all sorted yesterday?. He'll have slept on it and who knows? Or am i clutching at straws?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here