[Albion] A glimpse of the near and medium future?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I really enjoyed today and thought there were a number of positives including March and Adingra’s MOM performances.

But what pleased me most was getting a glimpse, I think, of our future first choice team spine together

Bart is clearly going to be our number 1 keeper in time and these early mistakes are all good learning but I think he looks really promising. Igor was good and worked well alongside Dunk, I think he’s a player. Baleba looks the real deal and alongside Gross is an excellent centre midfield and then Joao Pedro up front is a frightening talent who is only going to get better.

After all of the rotation in these crucial positions so far this season, it was really good to seem them all in action together, playing well against top opposition and clearly adapting to RDZ’s play. Exciting times.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I really enjoyed today and thought there were a number of positives including March and Adingra’s MOM performances.

But what pleased me most was getting a glimpse, I think, of our future first choice team spine together

Bart is clearly going to be our number 1 keeper in time and these early mistakes are all good learning but I think he looks really promising
For those of us who think Steele gets a hard time on here could you qualify that assertion? Age is undeniably a factor but I've yet to see Bart actually prove the assertion that he's a better shot stopper than Steele. We've also witnessed Bart's passing game help to concede a goal today and a goal against Bournemouth.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
For those of us who think Steele gets a hard time on here could you qualify that assertion? Age is undeniably a factor but I've yet to see Bart actually prove the assertion that he's a better shot stopper than Steele. We've also witnessed Bart's passing game help to concede a goal today and a goal against Bournemouth.
Sorry you misunderstand me, I’m a Steele fan and have defended him repeatedly on here. I have no problem with him playing at the moment at all if RDZ think’s that’s right. But Bart has a higher ceiling and as you say, is that much younger so is going to be our first choice at some point in the near/medium future (unless Rushworth sneaks in!).

Bart is incredibly young for a PL keeper and will make mistakes, especially with the way we play, but I think he’s really promising.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The other thing for Verbruggen for me is that his only mistakes have not been goalkeeping ones. He's done everything expected of him as a keeper: it's just a couple of moments with the ball at his feet that have cost him. Steele has also screwed up a couple, but they haven't cost us goals yet. I love Steele but I'm pretty convinced Verbruggen has the lot, and will be a really top keeper. Could have been worse: Brentford signed the bloke who kept Verbruggen out of the Dutch national side in the last international window and he looks like he couldn't catch a cold. He's been Onana levels of ineptitude so far.

I do personally wonder if we shouldn't stick with one keeper for a bit, rather than constantly changing. But then I am a thousand times less of a football coach than Roberto de Zerbi, so I respect his choices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports