Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] A giant flag for the North (and other stands)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given there's a train strike will there be enough people there to actually pass it around between?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Am I missing the point a little here. If the club are happy to store a flag, bring a flag out for every home game, then why don't they finance said flag, with input from the fans as to what goes on it?

Or is it that the fans want "ownership" of flag, so it's a fan thing and not a club thing?

Not forgetting to clean it, because when it gets to the end of the stand, it gets slung on the floor soaking up the spilt Fanta, Cola etc from having no bottle tops.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not forgetting to clean it, because when it gets to the end of the stand, it gets slung on the floor soaking up the spilt Fanta, Cola etc from having no bottle tops.

How did you know l'm famous for kicking over my bottles of soft drink? :rolleyes:

Don't worry though folks, my seat isn't in the North.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A flag with players on could easily be redundant in just under 14 weeks

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Surely the best thing to do here is for the people wanting to organise a flag is to track down the creators/owners of the 'withdean to wembley flag' and put them in contact with whoever at the club has agreed to store this new one, and get that used at the Amex.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It I s the fans who are loyal and need celebrating not the paid employees of a club. ****ing flags.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
How about issuing every supporter in the ground with a couple of balloons one white and one blue?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Clive, can you also take into account the growing distaste and disengagement from Facebook? I understand you not wanting to have to stack votes, but as of right now the Twitter poll has over double the amount of votes in a much shorter period. While I understand 18,000 people are in that group, I am pretty confident in saying a HUGE amount of those 18,000 are no longer what you'd consider "active" on Facebook, myself among them. A poll on here from Bozza, having a very large Albion account like WeAreBrighton perhaps on Twitter running the same poll, doing the same with a large Albion account on Instagram, as well as the one on Facebook might do a good job of thorough representation across all age ranges and viewpoints. It would be a bit more of a pain to count them all together, but that's part and parcel of such a role as a FAB member. Interested to hear your thoughts on this. Cheers.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Clive, can you also take into account the growing distaste and disengagement from Facebook? I understand you not wanting to have to stack votes, but as of right now the Twitter poll has over double the amount of votes in a much shorter period. While I understand 18,000 people are in that group, I am pretty confident in saying a HUGE amount of those 18,000 are no longer what you'd consider "active" on Facebook, myself among them. A poll on here from Bozza, having a very large Albion account like WeAreBrighton perhaps on Twitter running the same poll, doing the same with a large Albion account on Instagram, as well as the one on Facebook might do a good job of thorough representation across all age ranges and viewpoints. It would be a bit more of a pain to count them all together, but that's part and parcel of such a role as a FAB member. Interested to hear your thoughts on this. Cheers.

Yep. Definitely agree with that. Facebook can be somewhat of a graveyard for old accounts that people no longer use. Younger generations have certainly moved onto other forms of social media. Although partly helpful I wouldnt use it as your main source to canvass supporters about an idea like this. Better off posing the questions on twitter, and message boards like this. The poll currently on facebook will be largely a bad guide as it only hits a tiny portion of the support, and only visible to members of that group.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A few points from me a bit late to the party:

- Definitely like the idea of a big flag.
- Is this big enough though? How deep is the North Stand by comparison. Will look tinpot if not more than half the depth of the North Stand. Ideally should cover the majprity of the depth of seats.
- Don't like any of the designs (assuming these are the ones I've seen on twitter). KEEP IT SIMPLE - Blue and white stripes - perhaps Stand or Fall on it? Definitely should not have any manager on it, certainly not one that has only been here five mins. If you're putting someone on it they need to be a legend.
- Get the point this needs to be generated by fans, but £1,600 compared to the vastness of the club's spending is nuts that they are not agreeing to pay. Surely just the cost of those fireworks per game was more than that?!!! Certainly would have been vastly more than that to do the fireworks for the season.
- Agree with the point on Facebook, I'm not even a member of this page and had no idea it existed until now.

In other news:
1) Has the Fan Advisory Board only met to discuss the AMEX atmosphere, or are they discussing the very unpopular new rules on away tickets?
2) Were they consulted about these new rules first?
Finally if the answer to the last two questions is no for both, what is the point of the Fan Advisory Board?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think it’s shocking the club aren’t paying for this.

But we dont know if they've even been asked? The opening post says ''We (the fan board) are proposing crowdfunding''. It seems the idea behind this was that it was fans generated, showing support to the new manager. The club might very well fund it if asked.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Another thought. Design by committee never works, you'll just end up with something really dull and watered down. Go with whatever you feel the best design is and go from there.

Crowdsourcing for the banners is a great idea though and I'd be happy to put my hand in my pocket to help fund it. £1600 amongst 28,000 fans shouldn't be hard to raise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here