Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A Free Hit

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
With my office being in Tottenham I work with quite a few Spurs fans, one of whom said to me, “ tonight is a bit of a free hit for your lot isn’t it?”

I put him right in no uncertain terms, but it got me thinking about what I would consider a free hit now. City away definitely, Arsenal and Liverpool away most likely, but not many others.

Thoughts?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
With my office being in Tottenham I work with quite a few Spurs fans, one of whom said to me, “ tonight is a bit of a free hit for your lot isn’t it?”

I put him right in no uncertain terms, but it got me thinking about what I would consider a free hit now. City away definitely, Arsenal and Liverpool away most likely, but not many others.

Thoughts?
With a totally fit full squad I'd be generous enough to say it's Man City.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having witnessed Arsenal away, I'd certainly include them in it. Having witnessed City away for the first time this season, I'm not so sure I'd include them, but that just goes to show that judging things on one game isn't the best way around things.
We've beaten Liverpool plenty of times recently, including at Anfield, so I wouldn't put them in that category, but those victories came at good times.
Given their home form, many might put Villa in there. Not sure I will.
So just the one or two. And certainly not Spurs at home.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Was he saying it in the context of our injury crisis? If so, I guess it is. I'm going in with more hope than expectation.

If he meant a home game against Spurs isn't something we'd generally hope to get much from, he's obviously wrong. However, since promotion we've played them 13 times, winning 3, drawing 1 and losing 9 :cry:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We've bossed Arsenal away more often than not in the past few years and gave City a scare a few times. I feel we're a club than can be expetcted to win wherever we go in the EPL. No free hit now

scooter1

How soon is now?
I’ve know we’ve beaten them a few times recently, but I’d say only Arsenal. They look much more focused this year, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they win the league. Despite beating Everton last night Man City looked pretty ordinary for a lot of the game, and Liverpool are very good going forwards on their day. We’ll give any team a game any time, even riddled with injuries we’ll go out to win

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Thoughts?
Did you get a free hit, in the vicinity of his large orifice???

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All the big 6 used to be. There’s now a big 7 imo, but we have beaten all of them several times (bar city) and I still consider them bonus games but also with an expectation that we may get something. With injuries, I almost consider tonight one of those, but then I saw Spurs injury list which is also terrible. Dier and Davies at CB - get Fergy and Welbs to really have a go at them!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Thoughts?
Tell him to shove he’s cheating golden cock up his arse.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
City away, it’s the only match where I don’t feel we’ve a chance. Does depend if your workmate was taking our injuries into account when he spoke though.

I’m reaching the point where I’m just impressed we’ve been able to field a team.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tottenham have as many injuries as us. So I'd say this is no free hit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thoughts?
Depends what you mean by a free hit. I have always assumed it to mean games against clubs which routinely win most of their games i.e. you’re not at a disadvantage if you lose and it’s therefore free points. Given the top 6 have drawn and lost many games this season I’m not sure it holds with any clubs at the mo.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thoughts?
I’ll also add this is the sort of person who sounds like a plastic armchair and tv supporter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here