Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Field in England.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Picture House and Vue cinemas will show a classic every now and then but I don't know of any that do so as their main trade.

The nearest Vue is in Portsmouth I think? I know that because Vue are doing a Three Colours Cornetto triple bill to mark the launch of Worlds End, but there's no screening closer than Croydon or Portsmouth. Down here we've got a lot of multiplex options, but nothing different.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The nearest Vue is in Portsmouth I think? I know that because Vue are doing a Three Colours Cornetto triple bill to mark the launch of Worlds End, but there's no screening closer than Croydon or Portsmouth. Down here we've got a lot of multiplex options, but nothing different.

Yeah you'll have to make a special trip to Laaarndun. We've got one down the road. On it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yeah you'll have to make a special trip to Laaarndun. We've got one down the road. On it.

Just checked out the Vue web site - there's nothing on there for special screenings on older films... unless i'm looking in the wrong place

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I know this probably isn't the right thread for this, but as I've got the Film Savvy people together ...

In the UK are their cinemas that sometimes show 'classic' films from time to time? I know in the US there are 2nd run cinemas that pick up recent releases and extend their time on release, and I guess there's also room for re-runs of older stuff.

The reason I ask is that I'd love to show my kids ET on the bib screen, but I can find nothing about showing the film anywhere. Back in the good old days, we used to get a supporting movie with a new release (those were indeed to days - I remember going to see a new movie (I can't even recall the name) to see The Poseidon Adventure as the support).

So, does this ever happen there?

The new(ish) Lewes Cinema shows 2nd runs (ie a couple of months after general release) but they don't do many showings of classics

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Duke's At the Komedia are doing an MGM HD season http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Dukes_At_Komedia/News/item/Mgm_Hd_Matinees/

ET isn't on the list, though.

A more expensive option, maybe for a birthday treat or something, would be to rent out a screen and pick what movie you want. I think most cinemas do that.

Saw it at Komedia Duke's yesterday, there were 5 of us. Definately one for those who like alternative films rather than usual Hollywood fare. Don't know if the central message was what is reality? - who knows! Certainly doesn't help if you consume vast quantities of magic mushrooms or maybe it does! Thought it was good, totally zany but good acting.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I enjoyed it. Saw it last night on a big screen. The director said they had to tone down the shades of starker black and white images in the more out-there mushroom-influenced scenes for the tv showing on Friday night as it was labelled as potentially epilepsy-inducing by the machine that makes these decisions. They didn't lighten it when i saw it and it was a fantastical watch at that point. The director was also saying that he had in mind something that a particular clique had been without for a while now and that group is the late-teens early-20s lot who might want to get in late at the weekend on some tablets or substances and fancy watching a partly-comedic head****. And it works for that, i think. A generally funny first half hour before it starts going weirder and more mental.
Great that it was all shot in 12 days for £300k as an antedote for the lifestyle of a big-budget film that will take 2 years to then make that the director and his crew have coming up. Interesting also to release on dvd, in the Picturehouse cinemas and have it on tv at the same time. Even a white vinyl of the soundtrack being released, apparently. Seems necessary to get yourself seen and the product shown in as many plaves as possible.
Me like. Also with him, Ben Wheatley, being a current Brightonian it added to the appeal for some reason.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am sure I have taped/ saved a film of the same name from I think film 4 last week ? started watching it set in the civil war black and white ? if so how have I saved it when its only just out at the flicks ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am sure I have taped/ saved a film of the same name from I think film 4 last week ? started watching it set in the civil war black and white ? if so how have I saved it when its only just out at the flicks ?

Yeah, it's the same film. It was released simultaneously on all formats, cinema, download, dvd, and tv.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yeah, it's the same film. It was released simultaneously on all formats, cinema, download, dvd, and tv.

Oh ok, it was pants turned it off after 5mins.... and watched another shit film movie 43.... wow that was one of the most juvenile poop films I have ever seen, in the end I watched father ted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here