A few thoughts on yesterday's game

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Apart from the lack of pace of Painter and Calderon against really quick wingers I'm not as worried about our defence as I was, thought Dunk and Greer were very commanding. Calderon putting his head between two flying boots (and unfortunately injurying Hayter in the process) showed what brave last-ditch defending is all about. Ankergren did ok.

We badly need a creative midfielder to compete with Dicker and Sparrow. Dicker was caught too often last season in possession and got away with it. As yesterday showed, he won't be so lucky this season. Sparrow looked good in patches, his experience will be useful. Fingers crossed we can land someone like Lansbury. Lua Lua is going to get kicked up in the air all season, but we already knew that. Bridcutt played well and again looked made for this level (and possibly higher). Noone looks like he's a bit stronger than last season and will worry a lot of defences, particularly in the closing stages. The big pitch should prove to be a real home advantage in this sense, even before Donny were down to 10 men they were fading badly. Top work on our close-season fitness regime. Buckley looked a class above and if he can keep that up will be a massive player for us this season.

Up front CMS did what CMS does. He'll run defences ragged and get goals, no doubt about that. Barnes looked strong and made some great runs, was a little unlucky with the clear-cut chance as the ball seemed to die on him. Those chances are way harder then they look.

Donny shaded the first half I thought and probably deserved their lead. Played some really nice football and weren't half as 'dirty' as some are making out. A well organised, competetive, footballing side who can mix it, as every team needs to in this division. Sad to see Sharp and Hayter stretchered off. Hopefully their injuries are not as bad as they first looked. Would like to see Donny stay up. Their fans I saw and listened to after the game were a decent bunch, especially in the circumstances.

It was my first game at The Amex and I thought the stadium and atmosphere were both brilliant. Any niggles are minor and pale into insignificance compared to what we've been used to. North, WSU and WSL did their bit with the East getting involved at times too.

All in all a great day, still pinching myself.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not sure how CMS got MOM although he did well. Thought Barnes did alright really. Lua Lua was obviously targeted and I think Noone changed everything, he was quality. Great hit by Buckley for the first goal. Defensively I think we did alright really. No issues or worries with Dunk. Dicker had a bad game I think.

Roll on Pompey. Take a point

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Creative midfielder has to be number one target in my opinion, and they need to be commanding. Where we lost out yesterday in the first half was keeping the ball in the centre of the park. We all know that once we get hold of the ball we can play our way, but playing against a similar passing side yesterday meant that we struggled to get hold of possession at times. I do think we lacked a bit of creativity through the middle, in a Bennett-shaped hole.

The team overall looked good though, defence solid as the OP points out. Paints and Calde were good without excelling, and Greer and Dunk were great. I've said it before, I think El-Abd could struggle to get back in the starting 11.

CMS showed what he was all about, in particular when he nearly scored after charging down the keeper - a ball that he had no right to get and most players would not even try for. He will be brilliant this year.

We really are spoiled for choice with wingers, with three fantastic players. We have a massive advantage that one of them will nearly always be on the bench and all three of them are game changers.

And we haven't even seen Hoskins yet. Watch him shine this year.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
In the ratings thread, people give Buckley a set of 10s. He obviously won the game for us with his pair of admirably strikes, but it was Noone for me that changed everything. He has the legs of a 7-year-old girl, but they danced and danced and do-se-doed. I enjoyed watching him warm up, taking on players he was to imagine, and then shooting just over the bar. He had an incredible touch too. I wonder if he is purely better against players beginning to tire. I hope not, as he was cracking.
Dicker, my perfect player, has to learn having no pace means you cannot constantly gamble with possession, as there is no way back once losing it. I imagine Gus' methods of wishing players to dare means that danger will occur, but from that first outing LuaLua and Dicker will have to up their games if they want to stay in with competition ideally mounting. Sparrow is a workhorse, but i am yet to be impressed with him. He might run a lot, but his abilities have to extend to more than that. Bridders seems a permanent fixture, CMS worked constantly and had a few good shots on target and Dunk and Greer were masterly.

ideally, winning late on and with majesty will mean we come out firing nervelessly in the next game and play the way we want to. Stop second half stuff.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I think after one game it's a bit too early to know how Dicker and Sparrow will do. They performed well against Spurs, and the next couple of games should show how well they can play in this league.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think we could have another creative midfielder already in the form of Buckley. I seem to remember an interview where he said he liked playing just behind the front two rather than an out and out winger. Give him a chance to play the 'free' role that Bennett played so well in and I reckon he could excell.

Talking of midfielders, Bridders absolutely oozes class. Always looking for the ball and keeps moves going. He's also happy for the ball to go back and to build up again through the defence. A Premiership player he will be, of that I have no doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports