Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A fairer system for the play-offs?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My mistake it is 6 games 3v 4, 5 and 6 twice. I like the idea but it would never happen because of TV coverage etc although Sky could show the games if played over 2 night midweek games with a 6pm and 8pm kick off 1 evening plus 3 over the weekend with 2 or even 3 on Saturday 12.30, 3.30, 7.30 but as we say it wont happen. though.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's all about keeping your powder dry, which Brighton didn't have the opportunity to do this year. We certainly took advantage of you being without key players when we battered you at the Amex.

It looks like the PO pretenders are taking advantage of resting players when you were busting a gut

Appreciate the solidarity but it's just the misfortune of circumstance, it doesn't happen often. The PO system is fine in my opinion.

When we looked at the fixtures back in the summer we saw those two games at the end of the season and knew it would be tricky, though quite how tricky and what we'd be playing for were obviously a surprise. So we could equally blame the fixture list as you have done the PO system.

We gave everything in both games, played with 10 for near half of it and we saw the evidence of that Friday night (also playing with 10 through a large part). In fact I think we've played with 10 men for c100 out of 270 mins for the last 3 games, the biggest games this season.

This is just the way BHA like to do things, to dream up otherwise unfathomable ways of missing out and heartbreak. Some of it our own doing, with a few snippets of gross injustice and incompetant officiating thrown in the mix. Still.. we haven't quite missed out yet, perhaps our 2nd team can produce the fairytale ending for which we are long overdue.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
The 3rd place team should get advantage over 4th/5th/6th, and 4th should get an advantage over 5th/6th. So:

3rd place straight to final
5th v 6th over 2 legs
Winner of 5th v 6th plays 4th over 2 legs
Winner of that plays 3rd in final

Same number of games but 3rd place get the advantage they deserve.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The 3rd place team should get advantage over 4th/5th/6th, and 4th should get an advantage over 5th/6th. So:

3rd place straight to final
5th v 6th over 2 legs
Winner of 5th v 6th plays 4th over 2 legs
Winner of that plays 3rd in final

Same number of games but 3rd place get the advantage they deserve.

What if we only pipped Hull to 3rd spot by 2 GD? Would we deserve that advantage?

Someone is going to feel hard done by somewhere, accept it and move on.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
3rd bye to Play-off final vs

Winners of

4th v 7th home advantage single game
vs
5th v 6th home advantage single game

Not sure it is better, possibly worse. I quite like the two-legged matches as in a single match, a bit of bad luck can easily derail the better team.

In the current format the actual final is the biggest lottery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here