[Sussex] A Cyclist on the English Landscape

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
They had a great deal on over the last few weeks for their digital version.

Slightly different is their excellent podcast ...The Daily.

Agreed - I signed up before the US election on a 50p a week deal - excellent value. And I generally listen to The Daily each day when walking the dogs.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I tend to think of the downs as "my" bit of Sussex and have a kind of snobbery towards the flatlands. And a hostility to most things east of Eastbourne.

Or at least that used to be the case. I now find the Pevensey marshes and the landscape surrounding Rye really atmospheric. And I can see why people get attached to Hastings – its got a personality like nowhere else really.

Those images are fantastic. We have some great places on our doorsteps.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Those photos are absolutely wonderful. The photography is obviously very good, but the scenery is stunning. As an exile, I wonder - is Sussex the best place to live in England? I'm perfectly happy in our little corner of Somerset, just south of Bath. But Sussex seems to have it all - the sea, the city, the rolling Downs, the pretty villages, the rivers....all within an hour of London (if you need the bright lights), and with a large international airport to transport you to foreign climes when the need arises.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As a night owl, I don't get up until at least 8.00 am. Sunrise light is wonderful for photos, as shown above, but although it would be worth it, I really can't get up that early in the morning. Perhaps after seeing these great shots, I should make an effort?

I'm very much an amateur but yes, you really should. IMO, like...

086e20066a11ac8e036e0d91845bee73.jpg

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I pretty much time my daily dog walks around sunrise and sunset. Same route most days. A loop round the harbour end of Shoreham Beach.You wouldn't think there was much left to capture, but there is always some new trick of the light. I am only snapping with my camera phone and share the odd snap on twitter, but my eldest has splashed out on a Canon and is on the look out for new lenses. The difference is noticeable in the detail.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When you look at the comments on the NYT article they are from all over, not just the USA. Might put Sussex on a few tourists itinerary who would not normally venture out of London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports