Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] A couple of Rugby Union law changes from 01 August

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
A friend who is a very keen fan and ex referee has just told me some interesting law changes from August in Rugby Union.

Ball held up on or over the try line is the defending teams drop out from the try line.

Balls kicked from outside the 22 which bounce before going into touch will be an attacking team throw in. I like this one, it may discourage kicking from one end of the pitch to the other like ping pong.

Thoughts, If true?

Egg chasing haters comments welcome :wink:

Don’t like either.

The first takes away the drama of a team really pressing for a try

The second is fine for a defensive kick, but if a team is struggling to break through a good defence 30 metres from the try line they will just try and kick it out with a low kick skidding along the ground to gain a few metres and get the line out

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting observations against, I can see the logic.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
yep, while i enjoy watching, havent a scooby what half the scrums and penalties are given for.

Scrums are pretty easy: there's been a knock-on, a forward pass or the ball stuck in a ruck or a maul and is not coming out.

Penalties are much trickier but most of them are for offside, not releasing the man (or ball) or not rolling away. The ref's signals should give it away.
If it's NZ, then it's probably foul play as the offside line doesn't appear to apply to them :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here