Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A country run by the church. Of course we are.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Actually quite an interesting story, you don't seem the type to be that interested in the news and why should you be? You don't live here.

I do still read the BBC news and believe it or not we actually have Sky news here!

I just find the political bickering so boring and especially when people like you find the inclination and the time to dredge up all sorts of statistics to support their argument.

Sorry, my mistake. I shouldn't have replied to your post and just put a thumbs down.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I do still read the BBC news and believe it or not we actually have Sky news here!

I just find the political bickering so boring and especially when people like you find the inclination and the time to dredge up all sorts of statistics to support their argument.

Sorry, my mistake. I shouldn't have replied to your post and just put a thumbs down.

Very easy to find the stats and in case you hadn't noticed, people on here always wants the stats. But you're right, perhaps you shouldn't have bothered.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think Bowie wrote a song about you.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
It's just another step towards the complete Americanisation of the UK.

This song remains as relevant to a Tory-led Britain as it did on the day of its release around 20 years ago.

Freedom for Tooting!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Church represetation in the Houses Of Parliament is worthy of debate, but this shouldn't cloud the fact the various Christian churches perform an important day to day function in our society.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
He did, Cracked Actor

Oh right. I see what you did there. Ever so good. Y'know, if you aren't interested in a topic there's nothing in the NSC terms and conditions that obliges you to take part in the discussion.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Church represetation in the Houses Of Parliament is worthy of debate, but this should cloud the fact the various Christian churches perform an important day to day function in our society.

I'm not saying they don't for those that believe and for the people they help.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think the term 'Christian' or 'Christian Country' is bound up in a cultural ideology rather than one based on faith. Christianity is, at core, a faith. If we understood it as only that then the number of people who identified with it would dwindle. How many people actually believe that Christ died then rose again ? For if people don't believe that, then according to scriptures they are not Christians.

If Christianity has the bible as its doctrine of faith, there can be no other conclusion.

That said, it is always interesting in modern times to understand what people mean when they call themselves 'Christians'. It seems to have become a phrase with many interpretations. I wonder if it is a phrase by which people describe what they are not, as opposed to what they are.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh right. I see what you did there. Ever so good. Y'know, if you aren't interested in a topic there's nothing in the NSC terms and conditions that obliges you to take part in the discussion.

The topic is a load of rubbish and just a politically motivated thread for you to slag off the Tories

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not saying they don't for those that believe and for the people they help.

And for all the parents and kids at christian schools - nativity, Easter, Harvest Festival etc those attending funerals and church weddings. They affect most of the people in this country, believer or not.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But then his argument is not about that it's that they run the country...I'm awaiting how that's so

Maybe not running it exclusively but too much influence, power and wealth? Oh, most certainly. Not quite as bad as the Orthodox Greeks though, who own E700B worth of property, 3 x the Greek national debt.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think the term 'Christian' or 'Christian Country' is bound up in a cultural ideology rather than one based on faith. Christianity is, at core, a faith. If we understood it as only that then the number of people who identified with it would dwindle. How many people actually believe that Christ died then rose again ? for if people don't believe that, then according to scriptures they are not Christians.

If Christianity has the bible as its doctrine of faith, there can be no other conclusion.

That said, it is always interesting in modern times to understand what people mean when they call themselves 'Christians'. It seems to have become a phrase with many interpretations. I wonder if it is a phrase by which people describe what they are not, as opposed to what they are.

Interesting post for Easter Monday

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You sound very cross today. Too many Easter eggs last night?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The topic is a load of rubbish and just a politically motivated thread for you to slag off the Tories

Oh do calm down. You seem to be giving it rather a lot of attention for such a rubbish topic. Now, move along, the grown ups are talking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here