Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] A Christmas Carol

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have just said on another thread that I had not seen anything worth watching on TV over Christmas But then saw this thread and remembered Mrs Blue3 had recorded this Christmas Carol which I thought was really good 7/10 that Dickens block can certainly write a good story

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

I thought it was brilliant imo (usual idiot suspects on the 2 threads who have an opinion on everything should use those three letters sometimes (imo) )

A dark sense of menace and atmosphere , Steven Knight nailed it perfectly...

Something i thought was missing from Mark Gatiss's Ghost Story For Christmas which was a major disappointment

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thought it was very good. Up there with the best work Tom Hardy and Stephen Knight have done together ,very well done, IMO.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought it was brilliant imo

It was.

Brilliant performance by Guy Pearce but the writing and script really dialled into the current zeitgeist.

You could clearly see strains of contemporary evil people in Scrooge such as Prince Andrew (poor excuse after poor excuse), Harvey Weinstein (control and manipulation through power) & Jacob Rees-Mooy (a profound and unerring passionate love of money and contempt for working people such as those who died in Grenfall).

Those who wanted a fluffy muppet style feel good interpretation that does not require you to ‘think’ should look elsewhere.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was.

Brilliant performance by Guy Pearce but the writing and script really dialled into the current zeitgeist.

You could clearly see strains of contemporary evil people in Scrooge such as Prince Andrew (poor excuse after poor excuse), Harvey Weinstein (control and manipulation through power) & Jacob Rees-Mooy (a profound and unerring passionate love of money and contempt for working people such as those who died in Grenfall).

Those who wanted a fluffy muppet style feel good interpretation that does not require you to ‘think’ should look elsewhere.

Agree. It got dark. His Father pimping him out to the school master at Christmas was Hellish dark. I think a lot of people who haven’t read Dickens and only know him from Sunday evening fare would be rather surprised by this adaptation.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It was.

There were certainly political undertones in the writing of Scrooges 'defence' which I don't believe were mere coincidence. Maybe that explains some of the 'marmite' reaction :shrug:

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
I’ve just watched episodes 2&3 . The first episode was a little slow , however it got better and better .
Much more psychological depth than any other version I’ve seen , and hugely moving , and unsettling at times. I love how interpretations of the same text can be so different - This is just as good as the Alistair Sim version.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here