Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] A Cashless Society.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
I’m not in a town clogged with cars and roadworks. I also use a service that is frequently running late for no other reason than the “you first” and “now, I have the exact change here somewhere, hold on, nope, oh what’s this, oh no, hold on”

Look, old people and idiots are going to be slower at getting on a bus. I totally understand and allow for that. But when old “you firsters ” have made the bus late already, we really could do without it at every stop.
So, you don't like old idiots. The first technology I remember were air raid sirens during the war. Also Button A and button B in phone boxes. From your high and mighty seat on the bus I’m surprised you can drag your eyes away from your Guardian to look down at my generation.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So, you don't like old idiots. The first technology I remember were air raid sirens during the war. Also Button A and button B in phone boxes. From your high and mighty seat on the bus I’m surprised you can drag your eyes away from your Guardian to look down at my generation.
:wink:

IMG_1216.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I never said I didn’t like them.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think the quote was "old people and idiots", I'm an old person but as digital as they come, age isn't the barrier, acceptance of change is, and that's at any age.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I think the quote was "old people and idiots", I'm an old person but as digital as they come, age isn't the barrier, acceptance of change is, and that's at any age.
I'm happy that you can learn as well in old age as you did in your youth. It's a great blessing.

Not all old people are so fortunate. When people say that older people struggle with new technology, they aren't saying that all old people are reactionary and unable to accept change. They are saying that some old people start to lose some of their ability to learn new things.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
We moved this year. We have gone from a place where cash was used only for the barber to a small town where all of the take-aways and the only cafe are cash only. We have no bank but there is still a post office and an ATM at the Co-op. Luckily.

You can buy produce, plants and eggs from honesty boxes on people's driveways. Not sure I can see that becoming cashless.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
You can buy produce, plants and eggs from honesty boxes on people's driveways. Not sure I can see that becoming cashless.
Maybe we are heading back to a barter system society ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tickets usually use NFT functionality i.e. they don’t need connectivity?
That's totally untrue. I have a senior pass now but in the many years of using a mobile ticket, it would fail to load at least once a month. Generally, the driver would let me on so I could connect to the bus wifi and show it at the next stop (although once he stopped me getting on). I still see people getting on and failing to get their ticket to display and do the same thing ie show the ticket later.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Rarely use it these days, but there is a place for it, particularly for some of the elderly who prefer it.
I'd rather people (elderly?) use cash than fumble about trying to put a PIN in to a machine because they can't cope with just touching the screen with the same card. :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's totally untrue. I have a senior pass now but in the many years of using a mobile ticket, it would fail to load at least once a month. Generally, the driver would let me on so I could connect to the bus wifi and show it at the next stop (although once he stopped me getting on). I still see people getting on and failing to get their ticket to display and do the same thing ie show the ticket later.
i admit I am not an expert on this, so maybe someone else can offer input, but from my limited experience including my Albion season ticket they do not need an internet connection.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I hope the resistance to the cashless society will gather momentum, part of society actually needs it to operate and abolishing it brings the Orwellian prophecy of total control ever nearer.

I‘m slightly miffed about the ongoing bank policies of asking where certain cash sums have come from when paying in.
You still alright with cash for those old scrap boxes mate ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I got lost when they refused to accept cash at the turnstiles and I swore I’d stop going when it got to two quid.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Best long-term argument I've heard for "against" is that £10 isn't worth £10 after just one transaction. Leaving Shops to one side (the major places where one has always tended use card payments), the chiropractor you go to, or the local bike repair shop, or the little pub on the corner, it's always best to pay in cash if you can.

The really interesting science programme Secret Genius of Modern Life (iPlayer) looks at how credit cards came to be; fascinating on its own, but the technology behind 'tapping' is astounding, what the card people (usually Visa) do in a fraction of a second is amazing - my point being that it has to be paid for. So why pay for it if you don't have to?
Fair point but who pays for the printing of millions of forgery proof banknotes and the making of billions of coins?

Money doesn´t grow on trees you know ;)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here