Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] A Cashless Society.

Freestyler

Jul 29, 2023
Give it 10 years at most and cash will be gone. Correct?
Bad for criminals? Will your pusher be using Sum Up?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I certainly hope not. Not unless they provide a free electronic alternative.

More to the point, unlikely. There will still be a lot of people who really don't want to have to pay their 6 year old's spending money by transfer to a smartphone. There may even be people who don't want their 6 year old to have a smartphone!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Best long-term argument I've heard for "against" is that £10 isn't worth £10 after just one transaction. Leaving Shops to one side (the major places where one has always tended use card payments), the chiropractor you go to, or the local bike repair shop, or the little pub on the corner, it's always best to pay in cash if you can.

The really interesting science programme Secret Genius of Modern Life (iPlayer) looks at how credit cards came to be; fascinating on its own, but the technology behind 'tapping' is astounding, what the card people (usually Visa) do in a fraction of a second is amazing - my point being that it has to be paid for. So why pay for it if you don't have to?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

More to the point, unlikely. There will still be a lot of people who really don't want to have to pay their 6 year old's spending money by transfer to a smartphone. There may even be people who don't want their 6 year old to have a smartphone!
This. Hallelujah!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

That's the evil plan already underway.

To push CBDCs onto the population.

"A CBDC could not only grant a government total, unchecked surveillance into someone's financial life — down to every cent spent — but also allow a government to, for example, prohibit an individual from engaging in commerce altogether or literally delete the assets of some disfavored individual or group of individuals."

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That's the evil plan already underway.

To push CBDCs onto the population.

"A CBDC could not only grant a government total, unchecked surveillance into someone's financial life — down to every cent spent — but also allow a government to, for example, prohibit an individual from engaging in commerce altogether or literally delete the assets of some disfavored individual or group of individuals."
You know the ‘ if you have nothing to hide ‘ brigade will be in full favour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Almost there in Denmark and has been for a while. Annoying when you end up with cash now as not everywhere takes it. Works a treat and struggle to see arguments against it
Same when I was in Sweden. I’m very much in favour of it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Almost there in Denmark and has been for a while. Annoying when you end up with cash now as not everywhere takes it. Works a treat and struggle to see arguments against it
How about when you lose your card (as I did 18 months ago, just before Christmas)? I managed to get to the bank and got a wad of cash out for my shopping. I'd have been stuffed in a cashless world.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The banks are determined to close all their branches and move everything online. Cheques now have a limited shelf life. Cash is our last bastion against Big Brother knowing every minute detail about your life. Not for me.
What will ‘big brother’ know that they don’t already ?

Cash argument is a bit bollocks, most small businesses don’t use it because the cost of banking, risk of cash on premises etc. only really sold traders have a benefit, for obvious reasons

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The banks are determined to close all their branches and move everything online. Cheques now have a limited shelf life. Cash is our last bastion against Big Brother knowing every minute detail about your life. Not for me.

What will ‘big brother’ know that they don’t already ?

Cash argument is a bit bollocks, most small businesses don’t use it because the cost of banking, risk of cash on premises etc. only really sold traders have a benefit, for obvious reasons
I was shocked when a customer pulled out a grand in cash to pay me a couple of weeks ago. To be honest I’d rather it was a bank transfer as I ended up paying half into the bank to cover some direct debits which I did at the post office and they charged me £2.75 for the privilege.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Rarely use it these days, but there is a place for it, particularly for some of the elderly who prefer it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You know the ‘ if you have nothing to hide ‘ brigade will be in full favour.

I'd say it boggles the mind that anyone would want such a system in place but then when you see how so many people slavishly keep the two party corrupt systems in place it's probably not that surprising there's people out there who would happily have the Government control their lives entirely.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'd say it boggles the mind that anyone would want such a system in place but then when you see how so many people slavishly keep the two party corrupt systems in place it's probably not that surprising there's people out there who would happily have the Government control their lives entirely.
Sadly yes we are becoming a brainwashed society needing wet nursed 24:7. The plebs in Greece were a recent example many crying there wasn’t an 18 year old holiday rep to tell them to move away from the fire.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How about when you lose your card (as I did 18 months ago, just before Christmas)? I managed to get to the bank and got a wad of cash out for my shopping. I'd have been stuffed in a cashless world.
As has been mentioned, and also from my personal experience, Denmark and Sweden are pretty much cashless......I wonder what happens over there in such events? Calling @danish seagull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here