Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A captain's fury.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You’re right. Because VAR gave a handball when play was still live / in play.

The official quote from PGMOL is ‘infringement in the wall’ - but it’s irrelevant really, for whatever reason

So if the infringement is from a Brighton player, West Brom restart the game, if the infringement is a West Brom player he plays the advantage, not blow his whistle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not immediately he didn’t. Bet he was pleading with Hooper to find a reason to disallow it.

Let’s see if MOTD proves it one way or another. If it’s proved to be illegal we should ask for a replay.

But there was nothing ‘illegal’ about it - simply the ball was out of play before it crossed the line. Sadly if they didn’t replay the game when goal line technology broke in the Villa game last season, no chance here

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Furthermore, Mason then digs himself an even deeper hole having realised his massive mistake.

See his gestures to Dunk with the whistle pointing before the retake. I think he even blows it about THREE times before he lets Dunk take it, as if to say....'I'm the ref and can blow my whistle as often as I like'. Very odd behaviour.

It's quite embarrassing to watch.

And then the instant blowing for the second penalty, which looked a bit soft to be honest. I bet he's so relieved to be able to give that decision, and probably gutted that we missed it. :lol:

He was clearly trying to cover ALL BASES by implying Dunk didn't play to the whistle the first time, which of course he did.

It's not only the awful decision to blow the whistle a second time, but the mad behaviour afterwards.

Probably a lovely bloke but he has a position of responsibility and professional control at the highest level of the game. My advice to him would be to find something he is good at because it certainly isn't this.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But doesn't the law talk about blowing the whistle for an infringement? There was no infringement of the 'laws' - so how was it correct?

No - it wasn't ruled offside. If it had been ruled out for offside, the game would have restarted with a free-kick to West Brom.

All of this.

I get exactly what Springal is saying, and so VAR is only doing it's job at the time. But it will be very interesting to see what Mason writes in his report as to the reason for his second whistle. It has to be an infringement for him to blow, not that the keeper isn't ready. The only possible infringement is the offside(s), but if he states that then why didn't the restart start with a West Brom freekick?

I'll be very interested to see how he and the FA wriggle out of this one.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are you able to provide the statement from PGMOL you have referred to?

Not a statement - was ‘guidance’ to sky sports live broadcast

51df62c883ae98ae3c5121c3eb31369e.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
From today ?

Nonsense, Sky quoted them as:

Since when did a referee blow a whistle for "goalkeeper not ready" ?..

.. after blowing a whistle for a free kick to be taken ?

Is that a new rule or are PGMOL (and Mason) making it up as they go along.

According to a West Brom defender "The ref blew his whistle, he said, to speak to someone in the wall, there was a bit of pushing."

So which is it ?

He clearly needs removing from top level refereeing.

Well the West Brom defender is clearly imagining things there. Mason steps away from the wall with his hands by his side, having blown for the free kick to be taken. No intention whatsoever of talking to anyone.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes. But that's not an 'infringement in the wall' that you quoted. No infringement, no law broken, no offence. Just an error by the ref.

Apparently on the field he said it was because of an infringement in the wall. That is what Bartley said

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Apparently on the field he said it was because of an infringement in the wall. That is what Bartley said

What a crock from the ref.

He’s clearly blown the whistle, realised the keeper is still standing at his far post, panicked and blown again incorrectly.

Everything else is just bullshit made up to try and justify it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Where is the "official quote" ?

Sorry got confused. There was ‘guidance’ to sky sports, and what West Brom players said that Lee Mason said

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Yes we know that we were not clinical, that is the discussion on the numerous other threads, this thread is about the free kick. Not clutching at straws.

I know. Personal thing but I just don’t like the over focus on ‘moments’ in a match. Its very MOTD etc where you’ve got a few seconds to sum up a game. There’s 90 mins in a match, ample time to correct those ‘momemts’ and we ****ed it up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

He’s clearly blown the whistle, realised the keeper is still standing at his far post, panicked and blown again incorrectly.

Agreed. Lapse of concentration. And of course there will be an external cover up

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

This all day long. If WBA scored like this, we would be fuming. We had at least 2 other golden chances to score and ****ed it up again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so play advantage. not a valid excuse, unless it was a Brighton player, then a free kick to them, which didnt happen.

watching on MotD seems he was told to go (or went himself?) to VAR and overrule his own mind that he had blown. i never like to think of our game as corrupt, but that does make me wonder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here