Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Brighton wonderkid. When?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
People need to relax themselves on the whole wonderkid thing. So many players get labelled a wonderkid and many fall by the wayside. Remember Freddy Adu? The American teenager nicknamed the new Pele at 14, linked with the likes of Man U, Real Madrid etc. He ended up as a journeyman.

Martin Odegaard has been on loan to Castilla but has had problems. Apparently his father (and agent) was most unhappy at the fact he wasn't training with the first team. This seems to have had an influence on the boys attitude and it's touch and go whether he'll make the impression people felt he was capable of.

Can anyone actually remember any "wonderkids" that made the grade and fulfilled the promise they were meant to have at 15?

Arguably Wayne Rooney. Even more arguably James Milner.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
We've already had one. What about Adam El Abd? With that level of ability at his disposal, I always wondered how he secured a professional contract.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
BHAFC do not produce or develop forwards. We never have.

We did develop one forward from a £2m valued player to a £8m+ player in less than 18 months only a couple of seasons back.
Scored a rather good goal for the team top of the Premier League on Saturday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We did develop one forward from a £2m valued player to a £8m+ player in less than 18 months only a couple of seasons back.
Scored a rather good goal for the team top of the Premier League on Saturday.

Zamora and Peter Ward were both 19 when they joined the club. They developed rather well on our watch.

I'm not talking about players we brought in. We didn't develop Ulloa (he was 26 !), Ward or Zamora. None of those players were harvested from our youth team setup.

We have NEVER produced a forward of any note. I'm afraid that's a sad fact. Plenty of Robinsons, Fenelons, Gattings, Fox's etc and a thousand more who have totally sank without a trace. If you can name ONE forward who started out as an Albion youth team player, who has gone on to forge a professional career at a higher level than BHA, or even at a decent level, then I will eat my own face.

It doesn't happen. Never has.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I'm not talking about players we brought in. We didn't develop Ulloa (he was 26 !), Ward or Zamora. None of those players were harvested from our youth team setup.

We have NEVER produced a forward of any note. I'm afraid that's a sad fact. Plenty of Robinsons, Fenelons, Gattings, Fox's etc and a thousand more who have totally sank without a trace. If you can name ONE forward who started out as an Albion youth team player, who has gone on to forge a professional career at a higher level than BHA, or even at a decent level, then I will eat my own face.

It doesn't happen. Never has.

Adam Virgo wasn't a bad striker.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Adam Virgo wasn't a bad striker.

He was played here as an emergency forward for a while (christ, McGhee even had him playing on the wing at one point). But he was never sold as a striker, he was always a CB. How many times did he play up front for Celtic ?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
He was played here as an emergency forward for a while (christ, McGhee even had him playing on the wing at one point). But he was never sold as a striker, he was always a CB. How many times did he play up front for Celtic ?

He only played for Celtic 10 times. Of course Virgo was truly a defender. He clearly wasn't a striker, but to be fair to him, he's probably been our best centre forward we've produced in the last 30 years!

I'm not disagreeing with you. The Albion really don't produce centre forwards.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Ok what you actually meant.. They have to be an Albion youth player at some point, a 'centre" forward (Sorry Solly), have started at the club at age , what 16 or under, been sold at what ? 20 odd to a prem league club for a few quid and your Barnes, Ulloas, Ward, Zamoras certainly don't count (all forwards, all went on to higher levels thanks to the Albion) as development doesn't happen past the age of 20, and loan players definitely don't count (sorry Sam vokes)
Gotcha.
Yes. Agreed then.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
March should fully be considered a little bit special after the last few weeks he has had?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here