Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A BLATANT begging for an Away End

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This is something I've considered. Like we have the little Albion shirt / cricket ball / horse racing icons next to the thread title. Perhaps we have a Palace shirt icon, which we use for threads in which Palace fans are welcome to post.

Arguments against, are:

1. What about ALBION threads that inevitably have a Palace interest (like the Bridcutt transfer ones).

2. The sight of half a dozen little Palace shirts on the big board would be unacceptable to many.

3. Why shouldn't SENSIBLE Palace (and others) be allowed to join in SENSIBLE discussions on other topics - music, food, life?

Cannot disagree with that at all. It was the best that I could do for the minimum of fuss but in fact its more practcial the way it already is.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Noo - bad idea. Appreciate you get a bit off grief from Place fans, but the reason followers of Aldershot, Charlton and Bournemouth (me) come on here is because it's a great site, not just for footie, but loads of stuff in general.

I mean - threads on how you wipe your arse? brilliant! - although thats not the reason I registered :whistle:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I realise that, but I'm not one of them.

BTW, what are your thoughts on the matter?
They have never bothered me until now. The last 2 or 3 months have gone beyond what I feel we should have to tolerate, tbh. On balance, I think this is probably the wrong time to make a decision. It would probably help if the unfunny tits who were nowhere to be seen a few years ago could stop starting threads about their crowd sizes and other pointless Palace related subjects that attract Nigels over here.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It would probably help if the unfunny tits who were nowhere to be seen a few years ago could stop starting threads about their crowd sizes and other pointless Palace related subjects that attract Nigels over here.

Agreed. The worst posters on here in my eyes are most certainly Brighton fans but as someone else rightly pointed out that is what the ignore button is for surely?

What would be an improvement is if you can remove/hide threads started by someone on your ignore list.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What would be an improvement is if you can remove/hide threads started by someone on your ignore list.

I've wondered about that. The counter argument is that although the thread may be started by someone I'd rather not read, quite often other posters' views on that thread are absolutely worth reading.

On the OP - I'd vote for leaving it as it is (though I don't believe it's a democracy anyway, so my "vote" counts for little, and I'm cool with that).

I do think that the idea that someone posted about banning by IP, not user-name is interesting. If that could be made to work it would do away with those trolls who just set up new user names at a stroke....

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I don't know what all the fuss is about, it makes perfect sense to me. The reason Palace fans gravitate towards our site is because they can't spell. So when they search Google for Nigel Society of Croydon, they just put NSC instead and they are immediately directed towards us.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There are plenty of Albion fans who are IMO far worse than the Majority of the palace ones. These are the ones who tend to start threads about palace, and then get upset when our friends from up the road comment on them.

I see NSC as a kind of pub. Plenty of decent people to chat to, and some idiots that I chose not to.

If I don't like what they say, I just move on.

Leave it as it is. The fact that we can't post on the main BBS shows how small minded they are, and makes us immediately superior!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Or you could just grow a pair and ignore them.
Still the best post on this thread. And made by the man who at one stage didn't like the way NSC was being run - so he started his own board. Anybody want to emulate him and start their own Brighton board? Then you can have all the rules you like, all the forums you like and all the additional modding headaches you like whilst people berate you because you did/didn't move a post/user to an appropriate forum.* No? Well shut the **** up then and accept the rough with the smooth.

*Not that you'll have that many as most people won't use your santised offering.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yesterday was the perfect storm for a deluge of sad nigels with the transfer window closing and them bidding for 2 of our players.

So they turned up on mass ( or several different shades of Seaside did :lolol: ) to get their gloats in.

Will possibly be downhill for them from now on in, so perhaps not so much of a problem going forward.

They will possibly come back for Liam in January, but I doubt Leo will be a target - they already have to shoe in another striker - Murray - into their January 25 man squad, I doubt they'll be finding 2 places for strikers in that reshuffle.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do think that the idea that someone posted about banning by IP, not user-name is interesting. If that could be made to work it would do away with those trolls who just set up new user names at a stroke....

That happens - each and every new user is manually vetted using any combination of...

- Username (if downright abusive, you won't get in)
- IP address (matching previously banned users)
- Facebook/Twitter (search for people by new user email address. Legit users will generally be on one of these services with a valid looking profile)
- Spam/forum abuse registers

It's not as easy as simply black-listing an IP address as, even in this broadband age, there is a degree of dynamic sharing that ISPs do. So banning a specific UK IP address risks also excluding existing users as well as potential future new users.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Bozza's got it spot on, unless someone is out to offend, a slap on the wrist normally works, but if it doesn't, ban them.
In short, don't start wind up threads then moan about the response.

3. Why shouldn't SENSIBLE Palace (and others) be allowed to join in SENSIBLE discussions on other topics - music, food, life?
:thumbsup:

Benzhiyi

Feb 8, 2004
Yesterday was the perfect storm for a deluge of sad nigels with the transfer window closing and them bidding for 2 of our players.

So they turned up on mass ( or several different shades of Seaside did :lolol: ) to get their gloats in.

Will possibly be downhill for them from now on in, so perhaps not so much of a problem going forward.

They will possibly come back for Liam in January, but I doubt Leo will be a target - they already have to shoe in another striker - Murray - into their January 25 man squad, I doubt they'll be finding 2 places for strikers in that reshuffle.

Some of us Nigels have been posting here for years and enjoyed being able to engage in logical discussions with you lot. Particularly with the REMF having to an extent calmed relations between the two sets of fans. (At least those of us with more than one brain cell - and I'm referring to both clubs in that regard.)

Thing is, there's an element on here who bait Palace fans into replying to them, yet go into full throw-toys-from-pram mode when they do. "Jedinak is pony, every Palace fan knows it, yadda yadda..." ... awaits Palace response... "How dare you reply to an inaccurate opinion regarding your player of the year! Shouldn't you be burning down your town again! Dirty Nigel prick!"

The truth is both clubs have a few muppets in tow, and the willy-waving threads attract the worst of both sides. But there's still plenty of room for debate and genuinely funny banter (much as I hate that word). For me, that (rather than playing F-word tennis and threatening acts of violence) is the entire point of a footballing rivalry.

Yes, you may call me a c**t now. ;)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That happens - each and every new user is manually vetted using any combination of...

- Username (if downright abusive, you won't get in)
- IP address (matching previously banned users)
- Facebook/Twitter (search for people by new user email address. Legit users will generally be on one of these services with a valid looking profile)
- Spam/forum abuse registers

It's not as easy as simply black-listing an IP address as, even in this broadband age, there is a degree of dynamic sharing that ISPs do. So banning a specific UK IP address risks also excluding existing users as well as potential future new users.

Thanks for the reply Bozza. Seems like all that can reasonably be done to prevent serial trolls is already being done then. That leaves it down to the community to report trolling, which seens fair enough....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Seems to me that we have a sensible policy as it is, so i'm going to have to agree with Bozza and Safeway. (Never thought i would use that line).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
They have never bothered me until now. The last 2 or 3 months have gone beyond what I feel we should have to tolerate, tbh. On balance, I think this is probably the wrong time to make a decision. It would probably help if the unfunny tits who were nowhere to be seen a few years ago could stop starting threads about their crowd sizes and other pointless Palace related subjects that attract Nigels over here.

I certainly get what your saying, but perhaps Bozza & The Gang need to start culling a few of the usual suspects/acting more robustly when they receive legitimate complaints? They (t'Mod's) do a brilliant job at maintaining a balance on this unique forum, but perhaps a change of tact would ensure the ebb & flow of chattage is maintained - & possibly improved(!) - without the tiresome Trolls doing their utmost to screw everything up? It's a tricky old thing, this online banter game innit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I certainly get what your saying, but perhaps Bozza & The Gang need to start culling a few of the usual suspects/acting more robustly when they receive legitimate complaints? They (t'Mod's) do a brilliant job at maintaining a balance on this unique forum, but perhaps a change of tact would ensure the ebb & flow of chattage is maintained - & possibly improved(!) - without the tiresome Trolls doing their utmost to screw everything up? It's a tricky old thing, this online banter game innit.

A new Palace troll came on NSC last night, started a one dimensional pathetic thread, managed a few posts and was banned and his thread locked within about an hour.

I've been married two weeks, I do have other demands put upon me now late at night, but am doing my utmost to keep the vermin at bay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here