Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Bit of Perspective

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Fine, if you think that, fine. Me, I think he was really, really good, he gave us an identity, a style of playing, we overachieved against teams with much bigger budgets and were so close to going up. Three and a half years - in this day and a age that's a fantastically long time to be at a club, he loved this place and was helping to shape our future.

I'm more bothered that everyone is dumping on him than that he's going. Your opinion can be held without the abuse you chuck at him in your OP.

Perhaps you should re-read my OP.
I haven't poured any abuse on Gus, I have in fact thanked him for his contribution.

I have also stated a few fairly obvious facts that, whilst not exactly complimentary to the man, stop WAY short of abuse.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Perhaps you should re-read my OP.
I haven't poured any abuse on Gus, I have in fact thanked him for his contribution.

I have also stated a few fairly obvious facts that, whilst not exactly complimentary to the man, stop WAY short of abuse.

I did, there's all kinds of digs in there. Its all so unnecessary.

If it was just the likes of somerset or rev it would be understandable, but there's so many people running round this board laying into Gus with gusto, its quite unsettling.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
If it was just the likes of somerset or rev it would be understandable, but there's so many people running round this board laying into Gus with gusto, its quite unsettling.

There really aren't though. There are many rightly stating that he's not the Messiah, and the club are not in league with the horned one, but very few "laying into Gus with gusto". Anyway, he's a big boy, sure he can take it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think its about time people stopped to think for a moment.

I am a Brighton and Hove Albion fan, as I assume you all are.

Not a Gus Poyet fan.... a Brighton fan.

OK, so the first team manager has been sacked for breach of contract.
That's a breach of contract with the football club we all support.

There are so many people on here slagging their football club off that it beggars belief.

So Poyet was officially told whilst he was off moonlighting for the BBC, so bleedin' what.
If he hadn't swanned off to Salford to earn some more cash, he would have been in Brighton to be told face to face that his employment had been terminated.

The club needed to sort this out before the players reported back today, and they did it on Sunday.
Poyet chose to be up North, then whinges that he heard it "live on air".

If he had bothered to turn up to his original disciplinary hearing, then he could have been sacked before the weekend.

Managers come and go, and whilst he did a great job for us, he didn't half spend a lot of time time telling us how well he was doing!!

Thanks Gus, job well done - now lets move on.

On the whole, I agree with you, but as someone else says, there are a lot of digs in there. I will be very, very happy when this is behind us, even if that just means the Gus thing rumbling on but with the team doing OK under an interim manager. As you say, it is BHAFC I/We support. But:

I am not and have not slagged off the football club. I trust that it is right when they say they have done everything "by the book", but would still accept the possibility that they might not have done.
I have criticised along with others the timing of yesterday's announcement, not in terms of whether or not Gus knew, but purely in terms of it going out just before the main "victim" of the announcement was going to be on TV. Surely that is PR Suicide.
Gus wasn't "moonlighting", which implies illegality. He was there as a pundit for a match in which his own country's national team was playing, which isn't unreasonable. In happier times, we would have been delighted that our manager commanded the respect that meant he was asked to do this.
As for the "he didn't bother to turn up to the original hearing" comment, that is absolutely crass. Is he not allowed to try to look after his own interests?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
On the whole, I agree with you, but as someone else says, there are a lot of digs in there. I will be very, very happy when this is behind us, even if that just means the Gus thing rumbling on but with the team doing OK under an interim manager. As you say, it is BHAFC I/We support. But:

I am not and have not slagged off the football club. I trust that it is right when they say they have done everything "by the book", but would still accept the possibility that they might not have done.
I have criticised along with others the timing of yesterday's announcement, not in terms of whether or not Gus knew, but purely in terms of it going out just before the main "victim" of the announcement was going to be on TV. Surely that is PR Suicide.
Gus wasn't "moonlighting", which implies illegality. He was there as a pundit for a match in which his own country's national team was playing, which isn't unreasonable. In happier times, we would have been delighted that our manager commanded the respect that meant he was asked to do this.
As for the "he didn't bother to turn up to the original hearing" comment, that is absolutely crass. Is he not allowed to try to look after his own interests?

There are no "digs" at Poyet that he doesn't deserve.

He WAS "moonlighting" and if he had any respect for the fans of this club he wouldn't have been on national TV, he would have been in Brighton discussing his future (or lack there of).

Don't forget this is a manager that has stated (virtually from day 1) that he didn't intend to stick around for very long if a better offer was to appear, and we had failed to reach the Premiership.
Hardly the sort of comments from a committed manager.

And I'm sorry, but he didn't bother to turn up for his original hearing, the facts don't lie, nothing crass about that.

Lets face it, if he thought he had done no wrong, it wouldn't matter how many pages long that document was, he'd have been there!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
At last. A sensible thread and a balanced outlook on developments. I've found the 'who holds the moral high ground?' debate a bit childish and just want to get the right choice of manager in as soon as possible.

Gus threw his toys out of the pram too often and while he did extremely well, the comments of going home if his team doesn't play football the right way showed he was getting too big-headed.

Time to finally move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here