A bit of Maths help please!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I am trying to work out average length of a step for my pedometer and I know where you are supposed to measure from but have no tape or ruler to hand etc. so given these details are there any Einsteins out there who can help

I just walked length of my road which is 0.301 miles long and i covered it in 540 steps.
given that info, what would you say the average step is

was crap at maths 45 years ago and have got worse by the year

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I am trying to work out average length of a step for my pedometer and I know where you are supposed to measure from but have no tape or ruler to hand etc. so given these details are there any Einsteins out there who can help

I just walked length of my road which is 0.301 miles long and i covered it in 540 steps.
given that info, what would you say the average step is

was crap at maths 45 years ago and have got worse by the year

I'd convert your distance into metres. 0.301 divided by 5 then times 8. 0.48km which is 480m

Then 480m divided by 540 gives you the average distance of each step. About 0.9m without finding a calculator

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
cheers mate, i make that about 35 ins then, had entered settings as 30 and it seemed to read more steps than i was counting, so will re-set to 35. makes sense as am 6-2 and and do lunge!!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Best way to calibrate these is to pop down the local school and walk the 100m running track or a lap for 400m - but not in school time or you'll get collared

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How do you know your road is 0.301 miles long? Where did you get that information from?
He knows the length of all roads, he works for the highways :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports