Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A £50 Million Sized Hole in Defence?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Those shrugging off White's sale or even singing songs celebrating it tonight may want to reconsider.

With Lamptey injured we either need to put Veltman where White was, which leaves us with no right back / RWB (the job share between Gross and Mwepu was beyond pathetic tonight) or go to 4 at the back (which wasn't much better) or trust Ostigard to play RCB or rehabilitate Duffy. Ostigard was given a minute plus injury time tonight and Duffy looked great in the air but far from Potterball, hardly a surprise.

Getafe were lording it down our right early in the first half which caused the quick switch from a 3CBs at the back to a traditional 4.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are we doomed?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Those shrugging off White's sale or even singing songs celebrating it tonight may want to reconsider.

With Lamptey injured we either need to put Veltman where White was, which leaves us with no right back / RWB (the job share between Gross and Mwepu was beyond pathetic tonight) or go to 4 at the back (which wasn't much better) or trust Ostigard to play RCB or rehabilitate Duffy. Ostigard was given a minute plus injury time tonight and Duffy looked great in the air but far from Potterball, hardly a surprise.

Getafe were lording it down our right early in the first half which caused the quick switch from a 3CBs at the back to a traditional 4.

Could we stick Duffy in the middle of a 3, Webster on left and Dunk on the Right?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Are we doomed?

Well, we look weaker than last season and last season, results wise, wasn't stellar.

But I've learned never to trust pre season friendlies. Getting us set up with the most cynical team in Spain, a teenage referee and playing the two most unsuitable players to be wingback, except Sanchez and Dunk, at wingback is probably Potter's genius psychological way of saying something important to someone who understands it.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
We're not even a game into the season to judge

but

to say it's no big deal to miss a defender that played every available minute seems a bit hopeful

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Could we stick Duffy in the middle of a 3, Webster on left and Dunk on the Right?

Duffy was the middle of the three when Hughton tried it and we lost 4-1 to Chelsea. He doesn't have the footballing ability for it, sadly.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I must admit that I didn't go, but the Argus write up seemed to suggest that the two goals came from set pieces. Did Arsenal spend £50 million on Ben White because of his dominance at set pieces?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I must admit that I didn't go, but the Argus write up seemed to suggest that the two goals came from set pieces. Did Arsenal spend £50 million on Ben White because of his dominance at set pieces?

Well, someone called Stato should probably understand that set pieces that result in goals tend to come as a result of attacking pressure and that failure to score (or register a shot on target from any striker) also tend to be as as result of the other team being better.

But I'm being facetious. We looked out of balance compared to last season. I genuinely think White was more valuable to Potter than many seem to be opining now. A bit revisionist.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Two set pieces…first a foul by Webster that never was led to the first….then a needless free kick given away by Mwepu from which they scored the second

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed - we would always miss a player who played every game for us last season. Also he was very versatile, with the injuries we have I am not surprised we are unbalanced. The clubs recruitment around a LWB and additional player with Lamptey ongoing injuries at RWB is pretty horrible. We are at the top table and still missing around with square pegs in round holes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, someone called Stato should probably understand that set pieces that result in goals tend to come as a result of attacking pressure and that failure to score (or register a shot on target from any striker) also tend to be as as result of the other team being better.

But I'm being facetious. We looked out of balance compared to last season. I genuinely think White was more valuable to Potter than many seem to be opining now. A bit revisionist.

Thought the set pieces came from Spaniards falling over whenever anyone in the stripes looked at them threateningly

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I'm only called Stato on here because the first post I ever made was about statistics, but I take your point, mine was a flippant remark and we will have an adjustment to make. However, we had to make similar adjustments last year to accommodate Ben White's talent and to maximise the attacking impact of Lamptey. I'm convinced that our management team and squad are aware, creative and flexible enough to make the necessary adjustment again.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Do our medical team know how to deal with pacy players? Lamptey out for eight months to date he walked of the pitch just like Jose did against Palace.

Yes we will miss BW quality player, we missed him when he didn’t play last season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thought the set pieces came from Spaniards falling over whenever anyone in the stripes looked at them threateningly

The first one did without doubt. The second was a foul that came about through our own faffing in defence (which maybe White would have dealt with better?).

Let's not scoot over the fact that Getafe are the biggest cheaters I've seen in many seasons and the ref seemed to have signed some kind of mutual bond with them. The point is, though, that they had the ball near our goal to be able to carry the robbery out and that, at times, our right flank was totally unguarded. Because, for the first 20 mins we were alternating in that area between someone with a lovely turn but less pace than me and a central midfielder with no English experience who needs to be taught the rules of the game Janet and John style.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Were you there tonight? Who would you play at RCB and RWB in a three at the back with wingbacks set up with Lamptey out (again)?

We have options. See my suggested team for Burnley, and I haven't even mentioned Ostigard, Moder, Mwepu, Karbownik or Alzate (the last four would be RWBs, obviously). As far as CBs (left, right or centre) are concerned, we have Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Ostigard, Burn and Duffy on the books - and three of those would be quite comfortable at RCB if we're playnig three at the back (which we might not).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The first one did without doubt. The second was a foul that came about through our own faffing in defence (which maybe White would have dealt with better?).

Let's not scoot over the fact that Getafe are the biggest cheaters I've seen in many seasons and the ref seemed to have signed some kind of mutual bond with them. The point is, though, that they had the ball near our goal to be able to carry the robbery out and that, at times, our right flank was totally unguarded. Because, for the first 20 mins we were alternating in that area between someone with a lovely turn but less pace than me and a central midfielder with no English experience who needs to be taught the rules of the game Janet and John style.

I couldn’t work out what we were doing at the start. Mwepu at RWB (??) just didn’t work at all……….

God knows how we’ll line up next week. Bit of Potter magic required

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We have options. See my suggested team for Burnley, and I haven't even mentioned Ostigard, Moder, Mwepu, Karbownik or Alzate (the last four would be RWBs, obviously). As far as CBs (left, right or centre) are concerned, we have Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Ostigard, Burn and Duffy on the books - and three of those would be quite comfortable at RCB if we're playnig three at the back (which we might not).

Well we started with three at the back tonight tonight and had to change it.

Moder, Mwepu and Alzate are midfielders. Karbownik is a (quick) wingback who we recalled from loan and then didn't play. Ostigard got a minute tonight and Burn is injured.

We do not have a conventional right back or left back in the club, it would seem. If Potter decided to leave tomorrow I'm guessing that would be an issue.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Losing White was going to create a problem but not sure his move was stoppable, I think a deal was done when Leeds were after him , stay a year and then get a good contract (he did) and we get a bigger payback (we did).

I

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here