Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A 5 year old lad's view of football?

Nuneatonseagull

Aug 9, 2011
Nuneaton
Coming from the midlands, my lad is starting to notice he is the only kid around here that is wearing a Brighton shirt! He starting taking a real interest in coming to games at the tail end of last season, his first proper game being Walsall away. Expectations high after this:

"Daddy when can I see Brighton and run on the pitch again?"

All he really knows is Brighton winning. Next game we manage to get to is our first visit to the Amex Vs posh which he really enjoyed, joining in the chants and again watching us win.

I took him to see Leicester away last weekend which he again thrived on the atmosphere, joining in the chants etc. He went sad after the game as it was the first time he saw us lose. I didn't think anything of it, since then he has stopped asking questions all the time about Brighton but asking about the big clubs in the prem.

My dilemma is, I won't know how to keep him focussed on the Albion if we receive a heavy defeat at the hands of Liverpool with many of his mates supporting the bigger clubs?

Any ideas??

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Get to a match early so he can meet some of the players get some piccas & autographs. Having some real connection to them will keep his interest up :bhasign:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Possibly by showing him that despite defeats in the season , seasons can still turn out fantastically - so DVD pieces and such like , and who knows a year or twos time it could be us playing and beating the bigger teams.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Get to a match early so he can meet some of the players get some piccas & autographs. Having some real connection to them will keep his interest up :bhasign:

and this, obviously.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
For the first few games (say five or six) you really have got to try and take him to games we are unlikely to lose. I know that sounds difficult to predict in practice, especially now we are in the Championship. My two boys are now 13 and 10 and are absolute Albion fans through and through but it wasn't easy to keep their interest in the early days. With my youngest it was his obsession with Bas Savage (and before that Kerry Mayo!) that kept him wanting to go to games before he really got into the actual matches as a whole. Oh yes, and a post goal celebration routine of him jumping up and down while I smack him on the top of his head has sadly stuck for some reason.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ask him how Liverpool got on in their last 2 away games.
Ask him how Arsenal did this weekend.
Ask him if he wants to support a very special football club.
Explain the definition of "support".
Tell him how lucky he is to be a Seagulls supporter.
Reward him for staying loyal.

Nuneatonseagull

Aug 9, 2011
Nuneaton

Do the team do that on away matches? As it's hard for us to get down for many home games. We have 1 away game a month up by us until feb. Birmingham away is next one for him.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Son. Think about sandwiches.

Sometimes you might get to the buffet too late and all that is on offer is a cucumber sandwich. You need to suck that in to avoid going hungry. But remember, that there is always a cheese and pickle sandwich at some point. You might not like the cucumber sandwich, but you need to have one once in a while. There will be a cheddar and pickle combination just around the corner.

Sometimes you might end up with a fish paste sandwich on stale bread with limp lettuce, akin to losing to Crystal Palace at home.

Eating a cucumber sandwich or a fish paste sandwich, whilst unpleasant, every so often is good for you. Maybe not the taste, but it will make you stronger. It makes the cheddar and pickle sandwich that much sweeter when that comes to pass.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Coming from the midlands, my lad is starting to notice he is the only kid around here that is wearing a Brighton shirt! He starting taking a real interest in coming to games at the tail end of last season, his first proper game being Walsall away. Expectations high after this:

All he really knows is Brighton winning. Next game we manage to get to is our first visit to the Amex Vs posh which he really enjoyed, joining in the chants and again watching us win.

I took him to see Leicester away last weekend which he again thrived on the atmosphere, joining in the chants etc. He went sad after the game as it was the first time he saw us lose. I didn't think anything of it, since then he has stopped asking questions all the time about Brighton but asking about the big clubs in the prem.

My dilemma is, I won't know how to keep him focussed on the Albion if we receive a heavy defeat at the hands of Liverpool with many of his mates supporting the bigger clubs?

Any ideas??

He's not the only one with an Albion shirt in Nuneaton. My 9 month old grandson has got one too ! Got in quick as his other grandad is a Southampton follower.

Nuneatonseagull

Aug 9, 2011
Nuneaton
Son. Think about sandwiches.

Sometimes you might get to the buffet too late and all that is on offer is a cucumber sandwich. You need to suck that in to avoid going hungry. But remember, that there is always a cheese and pickle sandwich at some point. You might not like the cucumber sandwich, but you need to have one once in a while. There will be a cheddar and pickle combination just around the corner.

Sometimes you might end up with a fish paste sandwich on stale bread with limp lettuce, akin to losing to Crystal Palace at home.

Eating a cucumber sandwich or a fish paste sandwich, whilst unpleasant, every so often is good for you. Maybe not the taste, but it will make you stronger. It makes the cheddar and pickle sandwich that much sweeter when that comes to pass.

Knowing my lad, he will probably turn round and say "but I don't like cheese and pickle sandwiches."

Like the idea though, albeit complicated!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Although I respect the fact he is 5, tell him.....

"Son, you're talking Shit...it's all about the Albion, son you need to wake up and get on the Gus Bus!"

It's all about respecting your elders wishes...if he doesnt conform...then its no pocket money - FACT

:albion2: :thumbsup:

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Do the team do that on away matches? As it's hard for us to get down for many home games. We have 1 away game a month up by us until feb. Birmingham away is next one for him.

The team usually get to game an hour and a half to two hours beforehand get there early enough & catch them coming off the coach :thumbsup:

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing

Any ideas??

I prescribe a quick photo opportunity with Gully and show him this video on a regular basis!
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here