Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 92nd to 1st in just 9,246 days

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Luton’s story much more impressive in my opinion. Without a Tony Bloom figure either
In terms of reaching the PL, yes, but to get here and stay here is a different story

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Luton’s story much more impressive in my opinion. Without a Tony Bloom figure either
Yea, we do tend to wallow in it a bit, don’t we? Lots of clubs have played at all 4 levels in a similar, or shorter, timescale than we did. Just look at the 4th division table from 96-97 - Hull, Wigan, Cardiff, Fulham and Swansea all reached the PL before we did.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Similar. They didn't have Tony Bloom and they started from what is effectively division five. On the other hand, they didn't lose their home ground and play home fixtures 75 miles away in front of gates as low as 1,025 for two seasons.

It’s no coincidence the upturn in results for us once Tony Bloom pumped in £500M+ interest free though.

Do that to any club in the national league and you’d expect to see a similar rise, surely

Nicks

Similar. They didn't have Tony Bloom and they started from what is effectively division five. On the other hand, they didn't lose their home ground and play home fixtures 75 miles away in front of gates as low as 1,025 for two seasons.
Barnet at home at The Priestfield on Bonfire night was the lowest crowd we ever had I think ?
I'm forever scarred by that game ( We lost 3-0)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes and we didn't have Tony Bloom at first. In fact stage 1 in getting ourselves off the bottom of division 4 was removing malign owner

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good old Timmy! I wonder what the weather was like 9,246 days ago...

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Has any club gone from the bottom of Div 3 / League 2 to the top of Div 1 / Premier League in the history of English Football ???
Thought about this earlier. Any statto got the answer?

Would have thought if it were the case it would have been in the media somewhere

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It’s no coincidence the upturn in results for us once Tony Bloom pumped in £500M+ interest free though.

Do that to any club in the national league and you’d expect to see a similar rise, surely
No argument there. A £500m investment should guarantee a rise through the divisions.

But we've probably surpassed that. We're in Europe, we're top of the league, and we hold the British transfer record. And we're not done yet. We've also done it in an era where our opponents are bankrolled by oil rich states. It was a very different story when Blackburn won the league in the 90s - I doubt Jack Walker's money alone would have made much of a dent in the top 6.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I remember Wigan at home towards the end of that season (?) and thinking we're going to get tonked! I think we drew or even won it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here