Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

91/92 all over again

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Never heard that about Baldrick costing same as Ulloa. Bristol City must have seen us coming. Besides the guy is hardly pulling up any trees so I would question the scouting here. CMS was also banging them in IN LEAGUE ONE its a Cheap option because we got £8m and spent £1m. Overall we made a small fortune in player sales and recruited cheaply mainly frees and loans and then those loans didnt include players we are crying out for Grant Holt, FFS etc.

Ulloa costs us £2M: https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news...ecord-sign-ulloa-brighton-151249365--sow.html

Baldock costs near to £2M http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Sale-S...City-close-2/story-22849512-detail/story.html

And once again because you just won't acknowledge the fact, I'll repeat that we bought the Golden Boot winner from just one league below us for £2M. I'd say that's the going rate for the top league one striker.

Besides the guy is hardly pulling up any trees so I would question the scouting here. CMS was also banging them in IN LEAGUE ONE its a Cheap option because we got £8m

We spent £2M - the same as Ulloa. On the top scorer in League One. You must have less scouting knowledge than me if you think the scouts were wrong to target that type of player. Who exactly do you want? What buying CMS and later Ulloa proves is that scouting is not a science and is ALWAYS a risk regardless of whether the player costs £2M or £20M.

Are you going to shut up about Baldock being the cheap option now?

(Please....)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We needed to spend more on a PROVEN championship striker. We sold one for £8m and replaced with allegedly £2m. Thats the cheap option in my book.

Yes he had one good season in L1. So did Billy Paynter*.

Stop singling me out

(Please...)

*29 goals since you ask

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We needed to spend more on a PROVEN championship striker. We sold one for £8m and replaced with allegedly £2m. Thats the cheap option in my book.

Yes he had one good season in L1. So did Billy Paynter.

Stop singling me out

(Please...)

You're frigging impossible (but I still loves ya)

"£1m the cheap option...oh hang on was it £2m? Oh, well that's the cheap option"

But we spent that on Ulloa.

"Don't care, it's still the cheap option. I want a proven Championship goalscorer."

But we bought O'Grady too. And he scored 15 last season in the Championship in a relegated side.

"I didn't mean him. Someone different and more expensive."

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lol O'Grady was squad cover as we lost Hoskins and Barnes and I have no probs with the amount spent on O'Grady. In fact on paper at least it presented a bit of a bargain. With Ulloa going we had ONE recognised striker in CMS!

Yes Ulloa was a gamble but proved to be the real deal, I see nothing of Baldrick to suggest he is THE MAN.

What we should have done IMHO obviously is spend most of the money we made on Ulloa at another better, proven, alternative.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Those who were worried at the lack of any real planning or investment in the squad have been vindicated. Not bedetters, but sensible concerned fans.. We are now in real danger of relegation and worse. Unbelievable, given our support abd wonderful stadium, but nevertheless still true. The board should hang their heads in shame!

The only thing that should be relegated is this thread off NSC

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Never heard that about Baldrick costing same as Ulloa. Bristol City must have seen us coming. Besides the guy is hardly pulling up any trees so I would question the scouting here. CMS was also banging them in IN LEAGUE ONE its a Cheap option because we got £8m and spent £1m. Overall we made a small fortune in player sales and recruited cheaply mainly frees and loans and then those loans didnt include players we are crying out for Grant Holt, FFS etc.

Where are you getting £1m from?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You're frigging impossible (but I still loves ya)

"£1m the cheap option...oh hang on was it £2m? Oh, well that's the cheap option"

But we spent that on Ulloa.

"Don't care, it's still the cheap option. I want a proven Championship goalscorer."

But we bought O'Grady too. And he scored 15 last season in the Championship in a relegated side.

"I didn't mean him. Someone different and more expensive."
Buzzer clear your pm box mate trying to send a message.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
What sticks in my craw about that, and it is supposition, is that what we saw of Buckley last season was a sulking, skulking footballer throwing his toys out of the pram because he didn't get the move he wanted either at the end of the previous summer, or in the January.

Under Gus in the previous 2 seasons, 8 goals per season, lots of assists; key player.

So maybe OG wasn't that great at man management? (eg the Bruno Kusack spat)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What sticks in my craw about that, and it is supposition, is that what we saw of Buckley last season was a sulking, skulking footballer throwing his toys out of the pram because he didn't get the move he wanted either at the end of the previous summer, or in the January.

Under Gus in the previous 2 seasons, 8 goals per season, lots of assists; key player.

Exactly - unlike now, back in the early 90s a player couldn't hold a club to ransom. You would dare take a manager on in private let alone public as that beat at qpr has done with 'arry. The comparison holds up in my opinion too. Buckley just able to sulk his way into a move.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Scary comparison. Scary thought. I'll stick to my thought that there are significant differences now and then...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here