Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 weeks till the evenings start drawing in

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ahhh the joys of an English summer, just beginning to warm up nicely here! Hopefully no more rain until November!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa, I've been telling people that it's good we've got a cold spring because the last two years of warm April/early Mays have resulted in it pissing down for all of June/July/August. This way round + the cold winter means we've got a better chance of a decent summer.

Is there any truth in that at all or am I talking bollocks?

There is a weak correlation between cold / wet springs and warm / dry summers, but it's not a proven causal link...

The thing that worries me a little is the possibility that the changes in seasonal sea ice in the Arctic may have a permanent affect upon the ocean and most importantly the weather circulation at our latitudes. The cold winters we've been having of late, along with the rubbish summers may be an effect of this. If so, this may be the new norm. :(

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
There is a weak correlation between cold / wet springs and warm / dry summers, but it's not a proven causal link...

The thing that worries me a little is the possibility that the changes in seasonal sea ice in the Arctic may have a permanent affect upon the ocean and most importantly the weather circulation at our latitudes. The cold winters we've been having of late, along with the rubbish summers may be an effect of this. If so, this may be the new norm. :(
I've Been thinking along the lines of billythefish so I do hope you are wrong. Anyway looks like it's going to warm when I run the Brighton marathon on sunday! You going to join the greyhound syndicate then papa???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've Been thinking along the lines of billythefish so I do hope you are wrong. Anyway looks like it's going to warm when I run the Brighton marathon on sunday! You going to join the greyhound syndicate then papa???

On the first point, as with many climate related discussions, we may only know whether there's a correlation between changes in the seasonal levels of Arctic sea ice and our summer weather, it may be too well after it's too late to change.

There is definitely a large local effect on albedo, ocean and air circulations caused by the near total removal of the Arctic Ice in the summer, and potentially a bigger impact if the Greenland Ice cap goes the same way (which it may well be)... in fact were the Greenland Ice to go, we'd all be under-water due to sea level rise. Wiki tells me that a total melt would raise sea levels 7.2m globally.

On the 2nd part - I'm not going to be joining the syndicate this time round... stuff going on at home etc.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
On the first point, as with many climate related discussions, we may only know whether there's a correlation between changes in the seasonal levels of Arctic sea ice and our summer weather, it may be too well after it's too late to change.

There is definitely a large local effect on albedo, ocean and air circulations caused by the near total removal of the Arctic Ice in the summer, and potentially a bigger impact if the Greenland Ice cap goes the same way (which it may well be)... in fact were the Greenland Ice to go, we'd all be under-water due to sea level rise. Wiki tells me that a total melt would raise sea levels 7.2m globally.

On the 2nd part - I'm not going to be joining the syndicate this time round... stuff going on at home etc.

A couple of thoughts on sea levels, if they did rise by a metre or two areas like the drained Dead Sea would start to refill absorbing lots of any future increase.
Also with us humans being 90% water how much do say 1 billion extra persons born per decade or so take out of overall global water levels themselves together with the extra water required for the sustained agriculture required for them to be fed?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
A couple of thoughts on sea levels, if they did rise by a metre or two areas like the drained Dead Sea would start to refill absorbing lots of any future increase.
Also with us humans being 90% water how much do say 1 billion extra persons born per decade or so take out of overall global water levels themselves together with the extra water required for the sustained agriculture required for them to be fed?
So what you're basically saying is I might not be getting the speedos out till later on each summer

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Am I the only one fascinated by papa's weather knowledge?!?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here