[Albion] 81 corners

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If only we had a Paul Scholes stood on the edge of the box, ready to volley one in. Maybe Bissouma could do the same?

Surely that tactic couldn't be much less productive?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I really don't know what's different, seeing as I can instantly recall at least 2 times we scored from corners last season (Arsenal away, Spurs away).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only we had a Paul Scholes stood on the edge of the box, ready to volley one in. Maybe Bissouma could do the same?

Surely that tactic couldn't be much less productive?

He'd get crowded out.

For one second half corner we only had 3 players in the box to their 10.

I thought oh ok something new.
Nope, the corner was aimed for across the penalty spot and was easily cleared.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure. I would imagine the average must be about 1 in 15, maybe 1 in 20? You'd certainly expect at least 2 or 3 from 81.

I can't be arsed to do the exact maths (or for that matter the whole job)

There's been around 1200 corners awarded, so far this season.

There hasn't been 100 goals scored from corners.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Webster & Dunk miss so many chances from them. Don't think we can blame the crossing.

Dunk used to be a beast in the box. What happened??

It’s all Potter’s fault apparently, it’s like he trains them to head the ball vertically instead of towards goal. Both have been horrific at headed shots this season, especially golden boy Dunk.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Need to define what we mean by direct from corners though. So Firminho's winner against Spurs is not how most of them go in. More often it's a nod down for a second ball or third ball or a rebound from a save or clock, or just as ending to a general melee.

The stat you need to find is goal scored within 10 seconds of corner being taken.

Then you're probably looking at about 1 in 20 being a goal (on average, not for us)

If you include penalties scored, in this penalty laden season, as a result of a corner (such as the pen Maupay conceded against Man U) could be down to 1 in about 15

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It’s all Potter’s fault apparently, it’s like he trains them to head the ball vertically instead of towards goal. Both have been horrific at headed shots this season, especially golden boy Dunk.

Dunk and Webster really need to do nothing in training, nothing whatsoever, except practice downwards headers from corners.

No point in them doing defensive drills, they are already quite good at defending.

As a separate point, you could say that at least Webby and Dunk have got to them. White has barely got to one all season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports